Tulip beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HazellLawnCare, Aug 2, 2003.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer her wanting me to plant her a tulip bed this fall. My question is there something else I can put in the bed so there will be color after the tulips have gone away?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

day lillys

3. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

annuals or perennials. you can overwinter pansies and then use another type of annual for over the summer, or use a perennial as they are starting to grow for the season as the tulips are flowering.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Hazel

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50352

Scroll down to the picture of the Cannas in the wood box.

That is my 3 season box.

This past spring I had 300 Hyacinths. What you see now is the summer planting. Later that will all be pulled and planted with Mums. Very end of season the bulbs get planted. Landscape fabric (wire mesh) to keep squirels out. All covered with a layer of spruce branches. Been doing that since I put that box in. 18 - 20 years ago.

Only been doing the Cannas thing for some 8 years. They are stunted this year cause the cold spring and early summer. Normal years the tall Cannas I have measured when pulled out at over 7'.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

In that box now is the Cannas as you can see. They are down the center, both sides are Lantanas and Helychrisum with Allysum at the outer edge.

Lantans this year to they are stunted. :(