Tulip Popular Trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Fireman D, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

I was wanting some suggestion's on whether or not to plant this type of tree in my yard. I am planing on putting a couple of these in my yard to give me some shade. I have a small subdivision yard (110' x 100'). Is this tree too big? I am trying to stay away from the Bradford pear trees because of their weak ability to stand up to the wind and storm damage we sometimes get here. I am thinking that if I can get some shade in my yard that will help the grass (fescue) hold up due to the hot temp's and also help in the fight to get the bermuda that is coming into my yard under control. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tulip poplars do grow rather large in time, And once established grow pretty quickly.Depending on your property layout you might get one in that does not get in the way but I would advise against two unless you truly want large trees on the property.
    There are other hybrid poplars that don't grow as large but still grow rapidly for shade purposes.You may want to look in that direction.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally i think you woul dhave better luck with an October Glory Maple or a Red Sunset Maple. IMO some of the best shade trees ever.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

^ good suggestions as well.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost any fast growing tree will be a problem in the future. While tulip poplars will be outstanding looking trees down the road, they are only a little less messy that the general poplar family. You will be constantly picking up the broken twigs and small branches from them.
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor and get anything but a tulip poplar. I have too many to count on my lot all of which are 100' or better tall. When the "tulip" dies back it fills your gutters with the seeds. I have to clean my gutters at least 6x a year. Some of the ones on my property are probably 100+ years old, but I have watched ac ouple on the border which are just starting to take off. My winter project is to whack them all down. Once fulkly established one of these trees will cover your property. Also, the like to shed their lower branches as they grow. We are not talking small branches either. I've had some over 30' drop from ahigh. Too bad they aren't any good for firewood...I'd have free heat for years!