1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tumbled stone over concrete?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CK82, Apr 7, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have a concrete stoop/porch at the front of my house and was wondering if I could glue or mortar tumbled landscape stone over the top of the concrete? I have a customer who looks to have had the same thing done and it looks good. I am mainly in the lawn maintanence service so any information would help. Thanks
  2. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Paver bond the edge brick. The inside brick won't require paver bond.
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

you use a mastic to adhere the stones to the concrete otherwise you will have shifting bricks. check out icpi.com for more info
  4. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I usually sweep sand in the inner part of the patio. Never shifted. Not a big fan of the mastic
  5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely, it would be nice to have a capstone and veneer on the face and edge first, then lay brick on the inside. Looks nicer than just brick glued everywhere. On this picture the top concrete landing is covered and then couple of steps are added afterwards.

canon first download 212 (Medium).jpg
  7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a company based out of Canada called Navastone that has slabs for overlays that look like natural slate and marble. They have one that looks like Travertine marble. The pricing is a little higher but you get thinner slabs for the correct heights and such. They also have your basic pavers as well. I'm not sure if your closer to IL or MI but they have distributors in both states.
  8. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I already have a concrete slab and Im looking to make it look something like the picture above. Thanks for the reply's, should help out alot.
  9. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I do the stamped concrete and just do an overlay of cement and put the stones on top and roll them in with a heavy tamper or roller.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the better way to do an existing stoop. Yes, you CAN glue the pavers, but it will look like *you know what*, which I do have a picture of someone elses work showing how crappy glued pavers look.