1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tundra v6

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tamo, Nov 16, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I know there are already topics on this, but I'd like to get people's opinions who have an early year v6 Tundra in one place.

What do you guys think of it? What kind of towing and payloads do you get? MPG?

Right now I have a '93 Toyota pickup v6 that I've been impressed with but need more truck and I found a good deal on a stripped down 2000 Tundra.

I've towed my 4x8 trailer stuffed full of cut sod with the '93. Not very responsible I know, but the truck handled it. How much better can the Tundra do?

I'd really appreciate any opinions of guys who have used the early v6 190hp Tundra.

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have a 2003 v6 long bed. it tows my 3000 lb trailer better than my 93 v8 chevy . stops much better too. empty i get 16-18 in town and an honest 20-22 hwy. pulling my trailer in city i am getting 12.5 mpg. ultra reliable as with any toyota. the ONLY drawback is the shallow depth of the bed-what were they thinking?! the v6 is peppy and you wont miss the v8 for most working conditions. finding a striped plain jane isnt easy.-if you want it-get it as they are near impossiable to find used.
  3. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

I'm trying to find one cause I know how reliable Toyota is but it is almost impossible to find a v8. The v6 will tow 4000 lbs easily and probable never die
  4. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I don't have the V6, but I can chime in with a V8 and tell you that these trucks are tough. As I'm sure you already know toyotas are ultra reliable, and that wouldn't change for their v6 tundra. My V8 tundra does everything I ask it to without any problems. I don't see the v6 having any either. You might not get the accelration you want, but it'll still do the job.

135k miles and it runs like new. (No lie, my dad bought his 03 with 14k miles and they run the same) Oil is clean, too. Doesn't burn oil, oil doesn't get dirty, engine and tranny are smoooooth, etc etc, I could go on and on, this truck has no problems with it.