1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CELawn, Oct 15, 2007.

1. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a new truck. I am leaning toward the Toyota Tundra long bed extra cab. My trailer (loaded) is about 5000 lbs. What do ya'll think? Is this enough truck?
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

no its the wrong truck. have you seen one? it looks like a weiner! ha! go 3/4 ton.
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't want to get in a flaming war here but i priced out a Tundra with what i wanted on it and I wound up ordering a Silverado 3/4 ton. If you are in business and can prove it with a licence you will be eligible for $900 worth of add ons for a silverado(bedliner,rail caps,mud flaps etc) and the list price of the silverado was about the same as a Tundra and you are getting a 3/4 ton truck. And right now there is $1500 rebate on an o8 Chevy.
  4. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

OK... I have just started looking, but I haven't seen a Ford or Chevy/GMC 3/4ton crew cab, which is what I really want, for less than 40k. I just want something that can haul my equipment and my kids for under 35K and I don't want to buy another truck for 10-15 years.
  5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to order a truck with exactly what you want. Weather it be Ford,Chevy,Dodge etc. you can eliminate a lot of options that these dealers put on trucks that they stock.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2000 tundra that I use every day to tow with and it does fine with no problems. However, if I was going to tow a big load like a dozer or backhoe I would go with one of the big 3. The new Tundra's have a different tranny and I don't like a vehicle in its first year production.
  7. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The F650 setup as a pickup. Ah yes for the man who is trying to make up for his "sort comings"
  9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

my truck is only half of that truck I guess it being a f-350
    as for short comings no one is perfect lol
  10. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Go test drive them ALL. I was between a 2008 diesel F250 and a 2007 Tundra. They both have there advantages, and the tundra outweighed the Ford for me. If all you plan to haul is a 5,000 trailer than the Tundra is way more than adequate for you.

The 5.7 has so much power it's not even funny. Mine has 1600 miles on it and it just keeps getting better. It has break neck torque for towing.