1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tuneup Price Shock

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJOHN22042, Feb 22, 2003.

What price for a Tune-up 48" Scag 15 Kaw.

1. Under $300

7 vote(s)
  2. Over $300

1 vote(s)
  3. Do it yourself

34 vote(s)
  1. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

I was out today near my Scag Dealer and stopped in to schedule service for my Mower. They gave me a Price of $310.00 for a Tune-up. I was shocked at this price.
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If you can't do the tune up. Find some other dealer. That's over charging.
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

A tuneup should only cost around $100 or so, that dealer is trying to get every penny he can. I asked a dealer how much he would do a hydro oil change and he said $95- :eek: I said thanks anyways, and left.

It would best if you have the time and knowledge to do so. I personally enjoy doing it my slef but, do NOT go to that dealer. Find a better priced one that will better serve your needs.
  4. JJOHN22042

from MA

I was think of doing it and taking the $310 and buying a new Toy or something.
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I was told "probably around 85.00 for hydro's on my Walker. I can do it myeself in 10 minutes with 2 quarts of oil.

They want around 400.00 to do an engine pull out and cleaning. I'll just clean it myself for $2.00 worth of quarters...
  6. JJOHN22042

from MA

Ok lets say I have the seeds to do this Tune-up what should be done for a full Tune-up. (My Scag is 48'' 15 Kawasaki Belt)
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do u mean $2.00 worth of quarters?
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

With my Walker I have 3 or 4 sheilds that can easily be removed. I then blow off all the debris with the compressor or bp blower. Then for a once a year power wash (low pressure, missing grease fittings) I can have the thing looking new and have the cooling fins nice and clean.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

He means a car wash!

change engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, clean or replace and adjust spark plug, clean or replace air filter, adjust belt tension for all belts including deck belt, transmission belt and wheel belts, if you have a tachometer then check RPM's, if you have a good ear tune the carburetor, replace or sharpen blades, grease all fittings, check spindle bearings and replace if needed, check and adjust tire pressures as needed, check all safety switches, inspect all bushings and bearings all over for wear and replace or adjust as needed, clean everything maybe even break out some paint to touch up areas to prevent rust, and adjust everything that is out of whack. Not as hard as it sounds really!
  10. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 36" W/B belt, not hard at all to service yourself. If you have a manual it'll tell you allot! Then with the extra $$ go and buy that toy..