1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tungsten tip blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOJO111, Jul 13, 2004.

1. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Has anyone used tungsten tips before ?? and how long do they
    last in comparison to normall blades ?? any thoughts.. thanks phill:
  2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Has no one on this site used them before ????

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe they are an Aussie thing. How's the grass down there? I know its wintertime.
  4. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Dry as a dead dingos donga. No rain for 9 weeks, so its dam short:cry: more rain please:D
  5. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I've never heard of tungsten tipped blades. I do know that in the manufacturing sector, tungston is very very hard but sharp edges are also somewhat brittle. I'd like to try them, sounds very interesting and very expensive. I imagine they'd do great on a clean lawn, but I'd be concerned about chipping the blades on rocks and limbs. I'm not sure if they could be sharpened.
  6. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

They can be sharpened but you have to keep them cold when doing so. they coast $90 for a set of 3 for my zoom 1640''.
    I have not. seen them in action yet thats why i'm asking. the dealer says the LOCs use them alot down here.
  7. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

OPPS typo LCOs
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I could just never justify the cost. I can keep a regular set of blades, sharpen them many times and have perfectly sharp blades all the time anyway. I don't care HOW hard these blades are, they are GOING to dull.
  9. jestermg

jestermg LawnSite Member

why dont blade manufactures use the same technology as knife makers?

I saw on TV just this morning about a serated knife that never gets dull, and never needs sharpening! They even cut through a nail and a brick and then sliced a tomato paper then to show how sharp the knife was!

I am going to do an internet search for a mower blade like this! (With tounge firmly in my cheek)
  10. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Have you found any of those blades yet???