1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tuning a fs74

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Echelon, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have an older stihl fs74 i bought used. its been kinda funky since i got it.
    today when i tried to start it, it fired then showed no signs of life after many pulls. took the plug out and it was drenched with fuel. pulled it a few times with the plug out and it was spitting gas.
    my bright idea was to start fooling around with the screw adjustments but now theyre so far out of wack i just screwed them all the way in and figure ill start going a half turn out till something happens.
    unless of course i get some better suggestions on here. i know itll run it just needs dialed in. any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance:)
  2. JHugh

JHugh LawnSite Member

In most cases your starting adjustment on handheld equipment is both high and low speed screws 1 turn out. If your cylinder was flooded your inlet needle in the carburetor may be leaking. Depending how old it is you best bet may to buy and install a carburetor kit. They are not that expensive.
  3. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

installed a carb kit this morning and after some tweaking it runs stronger than ever. thanks for the advice.:waving: