tuning mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AK Lawn, Mar 15, 2002.

1. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

What are your guys feelings on giving the mowers a little more power. In my town it is the common thing to do but they have a tendancy to develop more problems, but they run so much faster and the lawn looks better. do any of you do this or am i an idiot and should i put them all back to stock. they are very slow stock (HRC216 x 6) i maintain them very well, so what do think?

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I dont do any mods to my mowers. I leave them all stock .If you do speed up the RPMS or any other way to give it more power , while its under warranty ,, you will more than liken loose it. The engine manufacturers know what there doing in my book.

If your running older slower machines maybe you could consider an upgrade.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What the RPM's are currently set at! Most times they are way off one way or the other! My '97 Dixie came from the factory at 3450 RPM's!! When I sold it, it was spinning 3750. I feel that this is a safe speed for most twin cylinder engines today. Use high quality oil and regular changes.

First step is to get a digital tach, see what you have, and go from there. The cut of almost any mower will improve with an increase of RPM's.

4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

they are all bought in the last two years (5 HRC 216) and they have been covered under warrenty with any problems (major) all that i did was install a shorter throttle spring and it gave it just a little more, it worked, another company in AK showed me how to do it and there's have been covered as well, but thanks for the feed back

5. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

TLS I agree with you about the mowers running low on new mowers. When I got my walker two years ago I had to take it back to the dealer so he could set it to 3600 it was running at 3200. All im saying is dont go over board.

6. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I'm not sure about the Hondas, but with Toro, they set the RPM's low to start with. Talk to your dealer, mine told me it was safe to turn up a Kohler 15 to 3650 from 3350. Makes a big difference!

7. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

That is exactly what i did and that is how i got the idea to put on the shorter throottle springs

8. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

That is exactly what i did and that is how i got the idea to put on the shorter throottle springs

9. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Most of today's engines are designed to run @ 3600 rpm. Therefore, if you "cheat" the rpm's much higher than that you are pushing the machinery beyond its design limits. You will be increasing vibration as well, which opens up the door to a whole mess of other problems - like stress cracks on various parts. I personally wouldn't go any higher than 3600.