Tuning t-260 trimmer!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 30, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been going through the shindaiwa www site and couldn't find any info on how to tune-up your t-260 trimmer.

I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some feedback/input on how to tune a t-260.

I just bought a t-260 for $180 CDN USED. It's only been used for residential use.

I want to tune this puppy up before I start up, but I dont know what I need.
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't a tune up be the following
    1. Carb kit
    2. Filter
    3. Plug
    4. Fuel Filter
    5. Pull hard till it fires.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would also pull the muffler and throw away the screen, I mean the spark arrester,. they are installed so you can use your trimmer in a National Forest. I would the dechoke the exhaust port and muffler as needed. Spray the carb down with carb cleaner and blow clean with compressed air. Clean air cleaner with warm soapy water and re-oil. Tighen all scerws, and allen bolts. Grease the gear head. I use sthil gearbox grease. Tom
  4. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We have several of the T260 & T261. A clean air filter and a clean plug do wonders.

If this unit has seen little use and set on the shelf a lot, clean or rebuild the carb.

UR gonna love it. It is one TORKEY machine.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If it starts and runs good now I definitly would not rebuild the carb. Just tighten all the mount bolts and screws. The only carb problem I have had on my Shin's is dirt in the circuits and in twelve years one diaphram. If it's not broke don't mess with it.
  6. alpine692003

I bought this t260 off a fireman in my area for $180 CDN, which is like $145 US.

I hope I will like it :D
  7. alpine692003

How often do you guys change the air filter, sparkplugs if you were to use the machine regularly?

1)Lets say, 40+hrs a week?

I already cleaned my trimmer's shaft, handles.

I have to wait to pick up the sparkplug, air filter.

2)What type of spark plug do you guys use? champion?
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The air filter is changed when it starts to look bad. The plug is changed when it won't start on the first or second pull cold. I use Champion CJ8 set at .030.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

This is terrible advice. The spark arrestor is put there to prevent a hot piece of carbon from exiting the engine and causing a fire. It does not matter if you are in a National Forest or not, if your machine causes a fire and property is destroyed, you are liable for damages. Also, when your insurance carrier is notified through the fire report that you circumvented a safety device on a piece of equipment, they will not cover your damages. You will be responsible. Bottom line - don't remove safety devices on equipment!
  10. alpine692003

I see, cool.

I will do that then! thanks