Tunnel Ram deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holders Residential, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

I have a husky 52/23 commercial mower. I was thinking about changing to a tunnel ram deck and was wondering if any one knew any thing about them

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Husky?? Where did you get it? I have heard of them before I think Farm & Fleet sells them or something like that. They are not commercial but think they would work ok for a little while if you just starting out. Not sure about the deck since I don't use anything like it.

3. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

Mine is a commercial machine. I like it except it does not discharge the way I want. It has the old style deck and I thought about getting the tunnel ram but wanted to know if any one knew how well they worked.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know about Husky....But may I ask why you have two threads on this topic???

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've gotten as far away from those mowers as I can get.
    Husqvarna and Yazoo/Kees both.

I'll agree with you that they don't work for crap side discharge.

As for the Tunnel Ram, I haven't heard any better about it either. I myself don't think they did the Tunnel Ram soley for improvement. I think they went to this design to allow them to continue using cheap materials and equipment and have a better chance of producing more straight decks. That and I think they wanted a tad more brand differential between themselves and Yazoo/Kees.

So yeah, it's still the same mower deck you have. They just cut the front off and added the boxed section for the tunnel.

Having as much experience with their stuff as I do, I would first recommend you just trade it in on another brand of ZTR that performs like you want in to out of the box.

If you can't afford that, it's best to give up and buy a mulch kit for it.
    Their kit works pretty dang good... that's the only good thing I can say about them.

If you know a good machine shop, I can give you some plans to have a custom front flow control baffle built for it that will bolt in the mulch kit holes. But it will still be limited somewhat by the discharge opening.

For me, trying to side discharge with them was just futile.
    I was glad I got them to mulch and had the kits on the way.

6. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

Please email me and I will tell you the truth about the Tunnel Ram deck and Husqvarna.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

BAKERS: Please just state your opinions HERE!

I'm a Dixon mower owner, but the one I have looks to be the LAST. In their "new" linup for 2007 (since Husqvarna bought them out) the same model I have, the Kodiak, now has a "new" 52" deck on it. My machine is a 50" and a design that was engineered and built by Dixon. The new decks I can't get a good look on any website, but I'm betting dollars to donuts it's a Husqvarna deck painted BLUE.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Lord... surely not... I was hoping they bought Dixon to put some of their designs to good use... because they were really starting to come on there with the commercial line.

But it would be like them to "F" things up.
    The could "F" up a wet dream.

I'm sure Dixon's tunnel deck walks all over the tunnel ram.
    The pictures on Dixon's site do not picture the tunnel ram deck right now.

(Dixon uses a nice ramped up tunnel for clipping "loft")
    (tunnel ram is just a little deeper in front)

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am in the same boat. As happy as I am with my new Dixon, I am 90% sure it will be my last :(.

Yes, Dixon had some REALLY good machines. Had a VERY strong commercial line IMO, and a very loyal customer base around here. One thing among many good features is the Dixon baggers. Second to NONE. I am really curious what bagger they will be using, as the older style like I got with my 44 inch is NOT listed on their site anymore.

I would bet there ain't many post-Husqvarna Dixon's purchased around here... or... anywhere. Sure glad my dealer picked up Hustler a year or two ago, that will keep them afloat. Wouldn't be surprised if my next mower is a Hustler.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Dunno... but I do know Electrolux owns Bluebird too... sooo...