Tunneling

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to get some type of boring tool for going under sidewalks, driveways, etc. and would like your opinions on what's available.
    1. Probably wouldn't be doing any thing too major, sidewalks, driveways, maybe a total of 30' x 8" - 12" deep.
    2. Trying to keep the expense down. Ain't eveybody!
    3. Soil type ranges from sand to clay, no rock.

Looking at the Borit Mfg. unit $240 + drill, Porta-Mole, various sizes they have from $2,000 model to $5,000 on up. Just your plain old nozzle you can glue onto the end of a piece of PVC and hook up to a hose?

Have you had any experience with these, or others I don't know about?
    Waste of money or not?

Thanks in advance

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You're going to get a lot of different views on this subject. Some bore, some hose/nozzle, some pound, etc. I'd suggest that you contact someone locally and observe what they use. That way you could see the pros and cons of the various methods and make your decision from that.

3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I've used the PVC technique on a driveway. I didn't use a nozzle per se, I capped the PVC and bored a 1/8 inch hole in the end of the cap. On the other end, I glued a water hose fitting. It did an amazing job.

Once you go a few feet, you may need to pull the pipe out to remove some extra dirt. I also found out that using a push / pull technique of about a foot each way seemed to work best.

I cut the ends off and used the same pipe for the water line.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the mole or missile , 2 1/2 inch. You also would need a tow behind compressor. I dont know how I did with out mine. They paid for themselves real quick. I do bores for plumbers replacing water lines, electricians outside lights , and I use it on 1 out of every 5 sprinkler install. We are getting 12 dollars a foot for a missile shot , with a 400 dollar minimum

5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i have a borsit, used it yesturday. works great for sidewalks. not sureabout going under a driveway. the video on thier web site shows them boring under a drive in less than 20 min. i don't think you could do that here with our clay and rock. but sidewalks, no problem. beats the pvc trick we used for years.

6. We use a ditch witch rotowitch for our boring . A borer is the type of equipment that you might not use every day but when you do it sure makes the job easy. Back in the day we used a metal pipe with a jet nozzle hooked to the garden hose. Man did I have some skinned up knuckles. The most we bore is about 70ft. since we only have 80 ft of boring rods. We charge $15 a foot for boring. Last week we charged $500.00 for boring a drive way and two sidewalks. The time you save is well worth the investment.

7. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I would imagine if a guy can afford it, the ditch witch boring attachment would work great, but I'm just starting, and I can't afford to get too far out on a limb financially, so, that's why I'm thinking the cheap route for right now, realizing it ain't going to be the optimum, but better than a sledge hammer and pipe:hammerhead: .

8. The borit tool(for somebody just starting)is a great option if you have to deal with a clay\rock situation a lot. There are tricks to use this tool effectively, but the one thing I would do is buy a good pair of gloves to protect your knuckles.

The cheapest option is to use a high pressure water nozzle and blast a hole through, then cut the ends of and use that pipe. Just depends on the length you need to do.

9. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Dirt Boy- if you're still checking in on this, I'm wondering what you decided, and how it's going. I've been wondering the same thing. Have you read this article- http://www.igin.com/Irrigation/pageInstallingIrrigation.htm. They talk about the Bullet Mole as being inexpensive, but man, check their website, that is not the case. Shore is purdy though. Has anybody used the Bullet Mole? And for anyone who's used the Borit (drill attachment), how easy is it to keep straight? I do like the looks of the Mini Mole, it had me wondering if you couldn't use it as a cheaper, but still efficient alternative to a pipe puller in a lot of situations, leave most of the turf intact. Has anyone tried this?

10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We always rent missile looking thing with the pull behund air compressor. Its the best thing I have seen to use when going under drive ways. Fore side walks we just use a pvc pipe and a nozzle on one end and a water hose on the other.

The other day we rented the porta mole. It was a piece of junk. It may work good if you did not have any rocks whatso ever. We took it back 20 min. later and demanded our money back. Dont get a porta mole if you have rocks!!