Turbo Baffle?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Kutter, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

I saw this on the scag site, it`s called turbo baffle.Was just wondering if anyone`s got it.If you do how is it?Here is a picture of it.[​IMG]

2. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

Turf Cutter, I put in a thread about this very subject a couple months ago and got no reply. Maybe now with all the additional members someone will know something. I asked at the dealer near me and got a blank stare.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Whats this "turbo baffle" suppose to do?

4. Turf Kutter

This might be the clumping solving problem.This probably stops clumping because the Scag company just wants to make their extra buck.

5. Turf Kutter

It`s suppose to stop scags from clumping.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This comes standard on Exmarks. They call it a "dogleg baffle weldment". It does work for the discharge blade but it does nothing for the inside blades. If you are in heavy grass clumps can still buildup on the inside baffling and be discharged. The only reason (in dry conditions) mowers throw clumps of grass is because grass tends to buildup on points under the mower such as where the discharge chute ends and where 2 blades' baffles come together. These points form sharp angles that tend to allow grass to accumulate (clump) until it falls off and is caught by the blade and discharged in one large mass. Under normal mowing conditions the grass will fall off and be discharged before it has a chance to accumulate. Under heavy conditions it does not get a chance to fall off before new grass is accumulated. This grass buildup is especially problematic under wet conditions. On my GRAVEly I actually saw the grass buildup on the discharge chute until there was a huge clump of it and then it fell off. The dogleg baffle weldment/turbo baffle reduces the amount of clumping by reducing the area of the sharp angle formed by discharge chutes and and could possibly even work on the point where 2 deck baffles come together. Sounds like something to try.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bringing this back up top for all the new members to read. I have a 48" SCAG with the old regular deck. Does anybody know if this Turbo Baffle will or does fit my application? Is there a part # that I can ask my dealer for a price on? Looks like a 5 min installation job. I only use my SCAG for 2 pool gates, and one steep front yard, so its no big deal, but any improvement in clumping reduction would be worth it to me.

8. sstem

sstem LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I'm kind of new to the site, but have been in the business for 4 years. I just bought a Scag Tiger Cub with the advantage deck, and took the turbo baffle off to use the mulching kit. I put it back on last week, and I can really tell a difference. I dont have grass clumps anymore and it seems to feather the clippings out a lot better. I too asked my scag dealer about it and they didn't seem to have a clue what it was.

9. sstem

sstem LawnSite Member

dixie 1, I don't have a part number, but I can tell you it takes 5 minutes topps to install. You have 3 bolts. One on the outside of the deck, one on the top of the deck and you use one of the bolts holding your pulley to the deck.

10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Welcome to Lawnsite sstem ! (Good to see someone else here from Nashville)