Turbo Force Deck Baffles on Toro Z453

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

For those of you familiar with this Turbo Foce Deck, as a new Owner of the Toro Z453 Turbo Deck is it safe to say to leave the baffles in the "A" position (wide open) at all times.

I will never be bagging so I will never use the "B" setting which is bagging attatchment setting I believe.

The "C" position looks like it closes the baffles for what reason, wet conditions. Which is the best setting on this deck.

Thnx

2. ajeaajea

ajeaajea LawnSite Member

Put it in the c position that is a wide as it will go. This will be the best for mowing wet grass

3. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I leave mine in position "C" most all the time. I have also ran the baffle in the "B" position also. That does real well later in the day when the grass is more dry. However, when it starts to get dry and towards the end of the season, I move mine to "A". In fall with Gator Blades and in the "A" position is a deadly combo for leaves.

The adjustable baffle doesn't really have to be used like what the label on the deck says. You just need to tailor the baffle to your conditions.

4. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

*trucewhiteflag*

5. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

I have some questions about that turbo force design. After cutting for a while, Do you get grass that gets caught in the the adjustment area for the baffle, to where you cannot move the baffles? With the Adjusting baffles, what is the grass buld-up like? Does the deck stay cleaner, is it normal like most decks? Thanks in advance for any information.

:confused::usflag:

6. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the build up so thick that it was a little hard to adjust the baffle, but not to where you couldn't adjust it. However, I do try and clean my mower every week.

Well if you adjust the baffle to the A position and then you go and cut some tall thick fescue, you will have some buildup. That's because the high blade tip speed and the grass staying in the deck getting processed more. However, you will see a little build up in thick, wet stuff from time to time. It doesn't take long to just scrape off the deck.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Open the baffle all the way in the spring and early summer then close it half way for summer mowing for a cleaner cut.

8. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been cutting on "C" and the high "B" so far this season. I think it is the best variation on the deck for thick, lush grass. If you need to double cut, cut the first time on "C", then for the next pass, move it to "B" or "A" to get rid of the excess clippings.

I am impressed, to say the least, with the turbo force cutting deck.

Matt