1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turbo Force v/s UltraCut (finest discharge clippings)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 3, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody have both mowers? Anybody compared the two closely? I've been wondering which front baffle design is superior when it comes to evenly discharging the finest chopped clippings.

Any experiences or thoughts?
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Envy,

as ya know I've only got the turbo force deck so I can't compare, but I can tell you the clippings are spread very evenly and as I use mulch blades I get extra small clippings.

The adjustable front baffle....close it and you get finer clippings, when grasses get over 1ft tall I open it up and it will still spray easy 10 feet very even.

If you have a toro dealer close grab the 04 catelog, the one I have here has close up photos of the SFS deck, turbo force, ultra cut from this you can see the differences from under side.

OK, just looked at both, to get smallest clippings each blade must feed another to re cut as ya know, toro's deck has a rounded baffle around the left blade guiding into blade 2, then the adjustable baffle starts and is straight for velocity, so closing it feeds each blade into the other, opening reduces it like SFS which discharges longer clippings.

Exmark, all the same until the middle blade, i.e left feeds into middle then unlike toro the baffle has a kick in it guiding the middle blades stuff into blade 3's tip, then the baffle opens over blade 3 to extract the material.

Just from these photos only I'd think the toro deck with baffle closed would discharge the smallest clippings, but both are designed to so a demo is the only way of knowing.

If you will be installing a mulch kit often, the exmark deck would be best.

Sorry for rambling on.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks Tony! It seems you are always glad to share any info you can about your machine. I Appreciate that. The main reason I was asking is because I've been thinking of a few ideas. My deck has a fully bolt in front baffle design. So I have been thinking a little about having a few baffles bent and built to my specs.

I can't see any reason not to take full advantage of that versatility. Otherwise I'd just be letting it go to wste like the MFG is. I would think they would jump on it because it could be a money maker to have multi-baffle accesory options.

I already have several options with the combinatin of OEM baffles I have. When I get my scanner re-installed, I'll scan and post some pics for you to understand what I'm talking about.

The first one I will most likely do is build a 'center-to-discharge' add on baffle that mimicks the Turbo Force Baffle from there out. But I won't have near the amout of adjustment as you do because the front of my deck is much more of a V shape than yours. The front of the deck slants back more on the discharge side, so it will not be able to be as 'open' as yours.

After building it, I'd take it out and see if it yeilds finer discharge clippings on 'rough-cut' jobs.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good Envy!

Keep me posted please :)
  5. Envy Lawn Service

We'll do!

I'll get taht stuff scanned and posted before I try to explai uch more bout what I'm doing.