Turbo/Supercharge a Lawn Mower Engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jtkplc, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Can someone explain if you can put a turbocharger or supercharger on gas lawn mower eninges? There are a few turbo diesel engines for lawn mowers. I'm wondering, because I would like to increase my HP on my 25 HP Kawasaki. Thanks...

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok first and foremost let me say that it will NOT be possible. Now to explain why, bare with me on this one.
    A) You would need a fuel injected engine I believe that your 25kaw isnt.
    B) The plumbing would be damn near impossible to make with the limited space that the engine compartment area has on a mower engine.
    C) You would need, in a turbo application, to fabricate a set of headers, put the turbo inline, then put a muffler somewhere downstream of the turbo. This complex plumbing would kill the efficiency of a turbo by quite a bit.
    D) A supercharger would NOT be realistic mainly because you would need a belt running to it somewhere...but where? You cant possibly make the belt for the hydros run to a supercharger.
    E) THERE IS NO PLACE TO STRAP A SUPERCHARGER TO THE ENGINE...

I could come up with more reasons why NOT but this will entertain most for now. Plus, you wouldnt really gain much hp from having a turbo, small gasoline engines dont have a high enough displacement to efficiently turn a compressor wheel and make a decent amount of boost without high drive pressures, these drive pressures would infact reduce the engines performance even more.

3. jtkplc

ok, explain why a turbo on a few lawn mower diesel engines work? because they have a bigger displacement?

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It can be done, but not worth the time and expense.

There is more to a "turbo" engine than what you see on the outside; larger bearing surfaces, more structural webbing in the block, forged crank, larger/more cooling capacity, altered ignition timing, etc.

In a "play" situation, you could have fun and boost it.
    In an industrial application, engine life will be too short for a few extra HP to pay off.

If you really want more power, take off the 25 and trade up to something bigger.

5. jtkplc

yeah, this wasn't something i was about ready to do. it was more a curiosity thing, something i hadn't read anything about and wanted to see what i could find out about it.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

They work because it is a matched unit, the turbo is sized to the engine.

on a side note:
    Diesels are well suited to turbocharging because they are already built strong to handle the crazy compression ratio and torque produced.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

send me the mower, I'll hook you up.

[​IMG]

We've put nitrous on a small engine last year, never got to use it though.

8. jtkplc

I heard Pepsi delivers more HP and than Coke...just a rumor though...

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Nonsense, people have been turbocharging carberuated engines since turbochargers were invented...Both draw through and blow through designs.How many turbo's have you installed??? I've installed a handfull.

Not really, You would have a airfilter on the inlet side of the turbocharger, and then a short length of tubing to the carbereratutor, since he won't be running much boost he could even get away with using something like 1" Flexible tubing.

Thats no more complex that a car/truck setup, again Do you know anything about turbos?

Turbos work off thermodynamics, the hotter the exhaust is, the more pressure it will have, the more effiecent it will work.

I think it would be pretty easier to mount a supercharger to lawnmower if they made one small enough. Guys having been strapping chevy Smog Pumps to gocart engines for years to add a boost of power, essentially the same thing.

Motorcycles with 150cc engines have turbos, why not a lawnmower, you just need to get one that matches the engine and your fine.

This guy twin turbocharged his :laugh:

139961972DgxWEd_ph.jpg

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

haha. It was for measuring comparison. Someone was using a beer bottle commenting how big their turbo was, so I took a pic of mine with a 2 liter in it just to show off. its a junk turbo I have laying around. :D