Turbo Turf Hydro Seeder

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PLMaint., Jan 16, 2006.

1. PLMaint.

PLMaint. LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I was thinking about buying the turbo turf HS-100 hydro seeder and I
    wanted some feedback on this piece of equipment from someone who has used it. This unit covers 2000 sq. ft per tank, and it fits in the back of a pick up truck. any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

have you considered look at Turff MAker? their little unit will fit in the back of a pickup and its mechanicaly adjatated which is alot better than a jet adjatated one, just a thought but i would recomned trying both types to get a feel for each one and see which one you would like better
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a turfmaker 550 with a 500 ga. nurse tank mounted on a trailer works very well. I got great results last year and it is reasonibly priced
  4. Mike33

also you are going to be angry at that little coverage. Like i mentioned of what i have is 1000 gal. cap. with the nurse tank for 1 fill. my 550 will do about 5000 sq. feet per tank. My average yards to seed is usually 12-1600 sq. feet. Do the math of how many tanks? My 550 with 500 gal. nurse tank 12000 gvw. trailer, honda port. pump, tool box i have $15,000.00 invested Dont go any smaller than this system, this isnt a bad price either.
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt go with a 100gal machine either. I think a 300 would be about as small as anyone would want to go and the 500 is better, provide you have the truck to handle that kind of load. 4000+lbs of water plus the weight of the machine.

Trailered machines are nice but not worth a hoot if you are working in steep terrain and narrow driveways. Mines mounted on the back of a 4500 flatbed.
  6. bigandy

bigandy LawnSite Member

Ive had a lot of experience with a 300 gallon turbo turf and can tell you that I think they work very well and are reasonably priced. It will take two guys about 45 minutes to mix and apply one batch, provided you have a nurse tank (ours is 1200 gallons, we arrive full and start refilling after we run the first 300 gallons out of it.) 100 gallons wont get you very far and you probably wont quite cover 1000 sg. ft. per 100 gallons and get good erosion control.
  7. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

haveing the ability to haul all the water to the site makes a huge difference in the time it takes to seed, when we first got our machine we ave over a hour a tank, most of the time was spent waiting for water, then we went to a nurse tank set up last year, much fatser around 30-35 min per tank on a 500 turff maker this year were keeping our nurse tank set up plus another 1000 gal in the dump as a runner for larger jobs, no mater what machine you use its the filling the tanks with water that will slow you down
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on what you are going to use it for . A 100 gal. machine is a good small unit for bare spots, touch ups after installs, and cemetery plot cover to mention a few. I wouldn't go out seeding large lawns all day with it, though. Our first machine was a 100 gal. from TurboTurf. It was a well built machine, and performed faithfully. We were trying to get a foothold in the market here, and most of the new patio homes and row homes were averaging about 2-3K of turf area per home.We started doing a lot of utility cover up work for a local plumbing company, and the 100 gal. was a good fit for small jobs like that.Once we started getting some exposure, we quickly needed to move to a larger machine. The largest area we covered with the 100 gal. was a little over 16k ft2. With a pond nearby, it's not that bad, but I wouldn't want to do it everyday. If I had to do it all over again, I would spend the extra 2.5K, and get a 300 gallon unit.In Ohio, I would say you would be fine with a jet machine using paper mulch or a blend of paper and wood fiber like Jetspray. Jetspray is ideal in those smaller machines for loading time. Do a little research, and contact Ray at TurboTurf. Spring is coming close, and you may be able to get a good deal on a traded in unit in the 3-500 gallon range.Good luck.
  9. Mike33

I forgot to mention i pull my 550 turfmaker with the 500 gal. nurse tank ( 1000 gal. of water } with a Ford F-350 single rear wheel diesel pickup truck.It is a full load i would not want to go any heavier, but living here in the mountains it still works well and safe. I also carry 200' of hose and not needed any more to reach since i do haul it on a 18' trailer that starts evert time i hook up. The turf maker is a fine built mechanical machine, the only one i would consider. It will pump a thick slurry of the 70/30 blend 200 lb. per load very well. Im not sure if the jet machines can do this. Im not a fan of the paper mulch do to it will leave a crust and could hamper germination. Also depends mainly what you are doing with it. I just started hydro seeding last year got tired of straw blowing away and went with this. You might try talking to your seed and mulch dist. of what blends they reccommend for your area.
  10. clarcon

clarcon LawnSite Member

I have a Turbo Turf 500xpw that I just bought in the spring of 2005 as a brand new unit that I am selling. I am located in Tiffin, Ohio about a 2 hr drive from Cleveland. I am asking $5000. The only reason that I am selling is that I bought a larger mechanical machine because of the size and specs of the work that I have had. The 500xpw is a very nice machine. You can see that specs on it at the Turbo Turf web site. I have 200' of the 1 1/4" hose that goes with it as well as all of the original nozzles. This unit is a skid mounted unit. You can e-mail me if you have any questions
    Craig Clark