Turboforce: Best blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, May 21, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am demoing a Toro with the Turboforce deck, and am not overly impressed so far. Standard blades are currently on the machine, and cut very nice, clean, and discharge the clippings when dry, pretty far. The problem is even after double cutting, the grass still remains on the surface. What blades are you fellas using on your Toro's to get the best cut, with best discharge? When the grass was wet, it really blew chunks, and not very far. I am pretty disapointed so far, but must be missing something as folks I respect on the site really love them. Any thoughts would be great.

Jay

2. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Any opinions? I only have the demo til Tuesday.

Thanks
    Jay

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What other machines are you going to demo?

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, This is where you need to play with the adjustable baffle.

If it is blowing chunks like you say I'd guess you have the baffle choked, open it up, and grass must be damp, only choke the deck on dry grass.

Mow with highlifts and open choke gives you clean cut and even discharge and larger clippings.
    Mow as above and close ckoke gives to smaller clippings, but best in the dry or it can spit out mulched pulp!

To reduce clipping dispersal distance a bit use atomics, and adjust the baffle to suit the conditions and you will be very impressed, you can discharge mulch in bermuda for e.g, this combo works great and atomics are good in most situations.

In heavy going, acreage etc where a smaller clipping is desired try recycles.

I found the cleanest cutting blade is recycle blade, atomics cut the smallest clipping. I don't use standard highlifts mulch unless I'm on some big job where clipping size doesn't matter and discharge distance doesn't matter, great speed blade, others are slower obviously.

It's all about setting this deck to the conditions and a lot of the dealers are too thick to spend the time and learn themselves and stuff up demoes, this isn't a 3 minute education period, there are soooo many more options with this deck over standard decks there is no comparison.

Before you give up on this mower because you haven't been shown how to use this baffle to make a huge difference, feel free to ask me questions, these things are so versatile, cut is as good as the best, the baffle is amazing once you learn how to use it.

I can show you some extreme pics if you want, shows how good these decks are.

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Tonyr

Your the man! Any pictures, or thoughts would be great. I wish I had blades for a 60 to mess with, I hate to buy blades just to fool around. I have mostly cool season turf, so not sure how the performance will be compared to Bermuda. Any pics or thoughts would be awsome.

Jay

6. ive been useing high lift ex mark excalibers ....its been wet around here and the grass it is a growing fast...on the wet days since double cutting is a foregone conclusion i cut at 3 and a half inchs ..if it is wet i make the first pass baffle fully open ....the next pass depends on how wet it is..anywhere from half way to fully closed .Even when its dry its long around here from fast growth ..so when dry first pass baffle is open ..second pass i close it all the way.

I get very few clumps ..if it were not so wet around here id try atomics ..in this wetness im reluctant to try them.

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks Jack

Did you notice a pretty big difference when you went from the standard blades to the highlifts?

Sounds like a good plan with using the baffle as you do. It really does make a big difference in clipping size when you close down the baffle.

I was checking the deck out and found that it is 3/8 off the indicated height. I was compareing it to my cub thinking they were both at about 3 1/4, when my cub was at 3 1/4, and the Tor was at 2 7/8. I imagine this made a fair comparison pretty difficult.

I have yet to have a demo properly set up for me. The anti-scalp rollers were all the way up causing alot of scalping. I put them one off the bottom, and it will rarely scalp.

Jack do you think you have plenty of power with the 27?

Thanks fellas, I will report more later.

Jay

8. jay

My deck was off to from day one ...it was on 2 and 3/4 on a 3 inch setting ...i put it on a flat surface took my deck leveling tool and got it up to 3 inchs in the front 3 1/4 in the back ...

I like the exmark excaliber ..it aint a huge difference but enough i use em over the toro hi lifts ..27 has excellent power on my 60 inch deck...got a 25 kawi to on another one i picked up ..power is excelent on it to

Jay were your dandilions tough ...man i cut a few vacent fields for some churchs ...those dandilions were tough lol

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks Jack

You picked up another new Toro? That is awsome!

I would like like to change the pitch, it is pretty much level currently. A downward pitch would be good.

Yeah those dandilions can be little buggers sometimes. If I don't cut em down in the first pass, I just give em a spray of Scythe

:D

Likestomow, I will likely try a Gravely, and maybe a Ferris while I am at it. I know I like the Hustler's, Exmark, and am still testing out the Toro. I am not unhappy with my Cub, but feel there are likely better out there.

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member