1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turboforce deck and mulching kit question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about to put a mulch kit on my 52" toro which blades have y'all found to be the best for St Augustine?? Which blades come with the mulch kit?
  2. Cage

Cage LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The mulching kit comes with it's own blades. These are the best blade to use with this particular kit. Good luck.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch kit either comes with Atomics or Recycles....both are pretty good.

Even standard high lifts do an ok job....

I yesterday tested a set of RAPTOR blades out on my Toro, awesome, much better than any I've used to date, I used these side discharging with the baffle closed up a fair bit, very small mulch like clippings.

Haven't tried them with the mulch kit on yet....the mulch kit is great just takes me too long to install, hense my search for a blade to chop up fine.

To read and see these raptors there is a thread I started on them yesterday.

good luck!
  4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I installed my mulch kit last night and mowed 21 yards with it today. I first put on the recycler blades that came with it last night and also took my gator magnums and high lifts just to see what cut better. The gators left the little strip of uncut grass in between each blade just like every mower I have tried them on with a mulching kit (even though it's the best blade I have found for side discharge). The high lifts seemed to bog down the mower quite a bit more than the recycler blade. The recyclers turned out to leave the best cut. I've been reading about the raptor blades and was thinking about buying them tomorrow. How well do you think they would cut thick St Augustine with the mulch kit?? I would hate to buy them and leave the uncut strip like the gators. Thanks for the help.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a Stens Raptor part number for a 52" Toro Z500 with the turboforce deck. If somone has a part number for them please PM me. My dealer said he cant find them with a 5/8" hole.
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and don't need a mulch kit.
  7. Tonyr

On my 60'' turbo force deck the Raptors give the cleanest cut, no stringers, no strips, a very crisp cut, see to stripe deep too.

I returned your PM Dave.
    raptors do come with a 5/8 hole, just need to give your supplier your cut tip to cut tip measurement.

Atomics tend to streak for me, they are similar to gators, recycles are great, raptors are even better. raptors are better than notched highlifts in my work....remember we cut a lot shorter over here.

Check out the other thread about raptors...

1 guy tried them and didn't like them, might want to talk to him first...

John Gamba uses them too.

Yeah Roy, love to know how the megs go on a turbo force deck, shame inport costs are so high though and dollar conversion.
    Hopefully one day you will have a distributer over here?
    Maybe you need an Aussie Rep??
  8. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I just got done putting the mulch kit on my 52 Toro Turbo Force. I ran down the street to mow one of my neighbors grass, and my mower also left the two strips in between where the blades meet. I am using the Raptor mulch blades. Should I try running the high lifts that came with the kit? I cut mostly bermuda and fescue. I am experiencing a bit of buyers remorse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  9. Tonyr

Sorry, can't help you here....Atomics have left streaks in bermuda, recycles and raptors never.

Out of curiosity does the 52'' mulch kit have the kickers like the 60''?

Streaks are ''usually'' caused by too much grass, or too fast, or lack of lift at the blade tip, raptors have plenty of lift in my conditions, maybe cutting at 3 inches is a challenge for them?

Talk to a guy here called Envy, he had poor results from raptors too.
  10. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

Would you recommend using the Recycles and the Raptors. I mow moslty burmuda and Fescue lawns. Although I mow some mostly weed lawns as well....they help pay the bills.