Turboforce deck settings, does anyone actually use it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am wondering if anyone acutally changes the deck baffleing on a Turboforce deck. In most conditions the grass in my area is either damp, or on the tall side. I would think you need the deck wide open nearly all the time. If the growth is not very tall, then it probably does not matter how the deck is set. Seems like one would run it in the wide open position nearly all the time. I even saw a model that had a fixed baffle on a Turboforce that could be changed with a couple wrenches. Seems like Toro feels change is not really all that neccesary. A local dealer who runs two crews with Toro's said they never change from the open setting.

Just currious.

2. robmorris

robmorris LawnSite Member

Bump Bump Bump

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a turbo force and I switch settings now and again.

Along with most, I usually just leave it open. But during the summer when people start overwatering and I get excessive growth, (so long as the lawn isn't wet), I close the baffle. Two reasons:

First off, I'll note that I removed the chute blocker that opposes the baffle.

1. This results in grass recycling through the blades more when I have the baffle closed - which, of course, results in shorter clippings that will mulch better.

2. If you close the baffle, the distance grass is discharged is greater and far less visible.

Just my two cents. I usually don't mess with it unless my side discharge is leaving a consistently visible row of clippings along the discharge chute.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I use it when cutting wet grass.

5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I normally run mine full open. I will at time choke it down when cutting grass with leaves. The leaves are chopped up finer and then distributed farther making a good second choice compared to picking them up. Keep in mind this is on country lots of over an acre, not city lot.

6. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I adjust my baffle quite often. However, here lately I have left it in the close position. It has been so dry I haven't had to touch it, until last week.

I run gator blades in late summer / early fall with the baffle in and the deck really does great on leaves. It also seems to make a little more vacuum where the gators don't have much lift.

Its a great feature though and I really love it.

7. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I will change it almost every lawn. if its thick and wet I will open it up. Dry grass I will shut it. If the grass is somewhat thick i will have it 1/2 open. It all depends. Its a nice feature to have at your disposal.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

That will change over time. :laugh:

My 60" has always been set to open, the 52" is in the "A" position. There is a difference so if the grass is super long the guy on the 60" will chop it all down and the guy on the 52" does the final cut. If it isn't super long it doesn't make much of a difference.