1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turboforce Owners -- small request

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RichmondR, Sep 12, 2005.

1. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Can you do me a favor and check to see whether the top part of your deck's discharge opening, facing out, (from front to back) is flat? As strange as it seems, the opening on my 52" Turbofoce deck on my Z-453 is not -- it bends towards the mower about 1/8 - 1/4" from front to back. I used the edge of a 36" bubble level against the metal, and mine definitely is not smooth. BTW, there was nothing stuck to the opening causing this. This is a brand new mower with 40 hours and definitely no abuse (other than what my wife gave me when I bought it :rolleyes: ).

The reason I ask is that I just got a Quikchute (nice product BTW), and I noticed a good deal of grass coming straight up and out towards the back of the discharge opening when the door is fully closed. I thought the Quikchute was out of adjustment, but its not -- the Quikchute door is perfectly flat, but the deck opening isn't, and that's causing the door not to be flush with the opening when its closed. I would think that the opening should be flat.

Hope this makes sense -- appreciate it if you could check and let me know. thanks a bunch.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

very slight bow, i would have to say not straight as an arrow.. but pretty close??

this is on a 440 series, 48 inch deck
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it something you may possibly want to grind off just a bit, so it fits flush? I couldn't see any harm it would do...It's not like it'll affect the cut, or anythything.
  4. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Runner --

Thanks -- good suggestion. If its a bump or a point, that's worth looking into. If its more of a curve, I'd worry about doing more harm than good.

Daveintoledo -- thanks for checking. Its only about 1/8" on mine, but a lot of grass can fit though there and its heading right for my face when the door is shut. I get covered in clippings from grass coming out of that space. I was just wondering if its the way the deck is built or whether mine has a defect. I can't imagine why Toro wouldn't want that to be flat.

Anyone else willing to check would be appreciated. thanks again.