Turf and Palnts Fertilizing Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Al Jackson, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Al Jackson

Al Jackson LawnSite Member

I'm looking to start a lawn and Plants maintenance business and I was wondering where I can get good fertilizing material that is cost effective? The average lawn in this area of California is 2000sq.ft. I need a good liquid fertilizer. I'm looking to use this sprayer for my applications:

Tank Material: 5-layer fiberglass
    Engine Cooling: Air-Cooled
    Engine Gear Reduction: Direct-Coupled
    Unit of Measure (UOM): Each
    Tank Gallonage Marks: external sight gauge
    Engine Brand: Kawasaki
    Brand: LESCO
    Engine Start: Recoil
    Tank Strainer: Stainless Steel Mesh

Thanks for your help

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The same place that your sprayer came from. I don't know why you would want to go with liquid fert., though.
    Anyway, you need to check with your state Dept. of Agriculture and find out what all your requirements are. I most states, when you start getting into pesticide application, licensing comes into play. This can and does involve a whole host of things such as education, testing, and experience. They will be able to lead you in the right direction for all your needs.

3. Al Jackson

Thanks for the information, Joe. I think liquid fertilizer is easier and it gives me the opportunity to apply it with my truck mount sprayer. I'm studying for the test right now. You are right, I have a lot of studying to do.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with the test, and I'm sure you'll do alright. We'll get you going on the granular too, as it is so much easier and beneficial to use (slow release).

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I use a bridge product called Biofeed Probiotics its a blend of biologicals and synthetic products you can read up on their web site www.biofeed.us. the stuff works great and it buffers the salts and over time breaks down the soil so aerating is not needed. I have fertilizer injectors at most of my homes so I run it right through. Its an easy sale because of the bio aspect. I don't focus too much on price because nitrogen is cheap and will make things grow and look good for a while but it also makes the plant weaker (ref. steroids) so over time you end up with more pests and disease. The salts in synthetics also make the ground more compact and don't let the water penetrate. With a low PH you may have all the nutrients right there but the plant cannot access them. Dan the owner of Biofeed started out spraying lawns. He could probably give you some good advice I will try and get him here.

6. Al Jackson

Thanks Az Gardner. That's some good information.