1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Application only?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Jan 6, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys do turf apps only or do most of you guys also do tree, shrubs, and ornamentals. Right now i currently do turf apps exclusively but i was thinking about adding another area to my line-up but i am not too sure if i want to spend all the extra money on the equipment. It seems that in my area there are several arborists that focus on tree care. I am looking for some feedback.
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'll be leaving the trees to the tree guys, outside of some light pruning. As for shrubs and ornamentals, I both enjoy applications and soil amendments, it' also pofitable. I'm looking for a good arborist to send referrals to.

People expect a nice lawn, but when you can turn an awful looking Rhodo around, they take notice. Often it's nothing more than knowing how to properly prune it and get the pH into the right range for the target plant. A little feed... and the pant bounces back.

These guys that throw lime down all over the place (without a pH test) will often sling some into the beds too. Azaleas don't like that one bit, and it's easy to fix.
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We started as a lawn only company. By necessity we started offering tree and shrub care to our existing lawn customers. We did it to keep the bigger companies from taking our lawn customers.

We dont do a lot, but we are now looking to specifically grow that part of the business.

Not much more equipment was needed when we first started. We just converted an old 50 gallon tank sprayer into our T&S setup.
  4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn treatments are all I currently do. I used to do maintenance, but can gladly say I left that behind me. By switching over to being an all application outfit, I make a lot more money and have much fewer headaches.
  5. TurfControl

TurfControl LawnSite Member

Yea I sold my mowing business last Spring, Thank God. I only do lawn apps as well. I'm more of a Turf man myself.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been licensed for ornamental trees and shrubs as long as I have been lawns. I have only really pushed the lawns until this year. I am about to promote the T/S end of it more this year. I have a 100 gal tank,motor and electric reel. All I have to do is buy the pump and put it all together. I have been doing a few up until this point. You'd be surprised what you can do with Merit.5g,dry fert and a back pack sprayer. Merit is the bomb. All I have to do is spray a little miticide and an occasional fungicide.
  7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I do deep roo injection feeding when it is raining out or windy, keeps me busy plus very profitable
  8. humble1

from MA

How big was the maint end when you sold. Why did you get out? How big is your application buisness after 1 year?
  9. humble1

from MA

I am offering perimeter pest control this next season, 10 ft off building and spray foundation up 3 ft. I also will be offering a tick and mosquito control program. I can under my license. Hopefully it works out.
  10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the main thing I need to get my spayer up and running for.