1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf damage on seeded area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLC03, Aug 20, 2006.

1. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I received a call from a guy whose backyard was turning brown. Here's the info he gave me. He sodded his from yard in 2003 and seeded the backyard the same year. The front yard looks great, but the back yard is starting to show some brown in several areas and in no particular pattern. I didn't notice any circular pattern or frog-eye spots. We have had alot of rain lately. He also told me that the back yard had some rust early in the season every year. The turf does not come up easily, so I took grubs out of the question. Could it be another pest or is it some for of disease?
  2. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

First question, does he have a female dog? Female dogs, for some drawn out scientific reason have an extreamily high nitrogen count in their urine.This causes a burning out of the lawn in the spot the dog urinated. It may also be brown spot. Or a rock in the soil that killed off the root system. Those would be my first gueses without seeing a picture.
  3. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Could be annual bluegrass or rye grass dying off,contamination ,second generation sod webworms, stress from critters long gone,compaction , puddling of water,or just plain old scorch,scalping ,some times you have to reseed and see how it goes.
  4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

no one can tell you anything accurately without at least seeing what it looks like. if it rained a lot lately it could easily be a disease.