turf damage with zero turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lancestapp, Jun 8, 2003.

1. lancestapp

lancestapp LawnSite Member

I bought my first zero turn mower this year (a grasshopper mid mount) and am very pleased with it. I still have trouble tearing up the turf sometimes when I make a turn. Not just 180 turns but sometimes just turns in general. It has been very wet this year in Kentucky and I am sure this is part of the problem but I would like to know how others minimize this problem. I try to mow when it is reasonably dry and make fairly gentle turns. Inexperience could be a major factor? Any ideas?

2. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

slow down

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep both wheels moving while turning. Getting the hang of it takes practice. Also, you could do a 3 point turn or k turn. When the grass is wet or damp you have to be extra careful. Keep trying you'll get the hang of it.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I pretty much try everything and the thing that works best for me it's this, just before you get to the end of the line slow down, and star making a 3 point kind of turn, when your mower forms a 90ยบ angle with your last line, make a fast zero turn, (make sure both tires turn at the same time) believe me it works better for me than making a slow turn.

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: what kind of grasshopper do you have, diesel?, and how do you like it, hows the cut? tony

6. lancestapp

lancestapp LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info. I feel it is probably the fact that I am not keeping both wheels moving when I make turns. As far as the question about the grasshopper it is only a 20 hp kohler with 52" cut but I am well pleased with the cut and construction. I Know this most on this post lean toward Xmark but I can find no problems with the grasshopper. The oldest lawn care business in this area has used them for years with little problem so thats why I decided to buy one. I really didn't know much about Xmark at the time. I am sure if you bought a grasshopper with a diesel you would not be sorry.