turf disease pic

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 9, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody know this one? This "brown circle" was about ten feet in diameter. It was not a complete circle today, but often times they are. Sometimes have toadstools in 'em too.:waving:

fairy ring 001.jpg

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

sounds a little like fairy ring, but usually the circle or semi circle is a darker green rather than brown.

maybe summer patch or necrotic ring spot also.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Fairy ring....newer developement...usually burried debris...the toad stools are usually the smoking gun. Not much you can do. Heavy amounts of fungicide can improve it for a little while (waste of time).

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto guys. She had two of these in her lawn. Nice diagnosing, cuz the pic was not that great. Way to go!

5. mdlwn1

Have seen them quite a bit worse.......usually about 5 -6 years in............

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mean to be the odd man out here, but I am not totally convinced. First,...is this picture accurate? In other words, is this the actual colors of the lawn and of the circle(s)? The reason I ask, is that fairy ring presents a higher N causing DARKER grass in areas of it...atLEAST on the outside of the brownness. There is NO darker grass here - even in the lawn area that is quite light in color (looks like it needs N). Also, I don't really see a circle here, I see a small arc shaped line approx. 6 ft. long. Is there any leafspot? Tissue damage?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I realized after I wrote this where you are. This is probably a normal color for you around this time of year.

8. mdlwn1

While it is common to see Fairy ring darker in some areas, it's not always the case. I've seen a few that were darker a year earlier...darker a year later...and so on

9. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Heritage, at the high rate. 0.4 oz / M will usually stop it.

I know this is an expensive way to go, but it works and it is a very small area to treat.

I have been successful with this in the past. Think you need to add a wetting agent and wash it in with Fairy ring. Read the label.

I followed the label to a tee and did not need to make a second app., but you may want to tell the client it may be necessary to make a second app. just in case you do.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly Puttinggreens.

Apply the high rate to 10 gal of water per 1000 Sq. Ft.

Pete D.