Turf fert that lasts 4 months

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

'Was talking to a friend the other day who was telling me of a fert/dimension product that if applied in may will last through to August/September.

Anyone ever used such a product?

He said it runs about $35.00/50 lb bag and is applied at 5 lb/1000sqft.

Not cheap but think of the possibilities!

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

try Dimension 0.15%, 19-0-19

3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

He meant the fert would hold color that long.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

He might be referring to Polyon. It releases on soil temps. It doesn't do great in spring, a lot of guys use a cheap fert. in spring to get things started, then use polyon in June to finish out the year. I used a 22-0-20 on our local football field last year. I was reasonably happy with it. I used 2.5 lbs. N in May and it did last the season, and that's with heavy fall use. It held up well. There's a nutrient calculator that you use to input your needs and wants and the site data and it'll give you release characteristics. Here's a link with some more general info.

http://www.polyon.com/home.html

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Where is the nutrient calculator located at?

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you have to contact a sales rep. I looked on the website and couldn't find it. Sorry.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My Lesco dealer is getting me to try a 10-0-20, 10% FE, 65% slow release.

Supposedly, last year when we didn't have any rain for 2 months from July through August, these yards stayed green, with no additional fertilizer.

Also, I am supposed to be able to drop a round of fertilizer, to go from 4 to 3.

I'm borderline 3/4 as it is, being this far north in MN, so this is supposed to put it squarely in the 3 rounds / year catagory.

I was quoted $15 / bag for 10k sq ft.

Then, I'd have to spray a Dimension, or comparable product at a rate of .75 oz / 1000. It was about $128 / gallon, or $1 / oz.

SO, if you take the two together, the sprayable Dimension would be around $8 / 10k sq ft, so I'm up to $23 for that 10k sq ft price.

8. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

the polyon rep for your area has a nutrient calculator program that will tell you exactly how much fert to apply to get season long results. it is a pretty cool deal. my rep is supposed to be giving me a few bags to try out on my yard in the next week or two. mainly used on golf courses right now. not much in the residential market.

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on your type of soil. If you have sandy soils it will leach out much faster and probably only get a couple months. If you have a rich loam soil You may get 4 months out of a single App.
    -Jay

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

mn -

Who's your rep, if you don't mind my asking?? If you don't want to post it here, I don't think you've got enough posts to PM me, would you mind emailing me??

LwnmwrMan22@frontiernet.net

Thanks.