Turf fertilizer: Liquid or granular?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Happy Frog, Mar 31, 2009.

1. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

What you think? Will 2 gal of water instead of the 3 to 5 recommended burn the lawn?[/QUOTE]

I spray 46-0-0 Uflexx at 1.5 gallons per 1000 up to 80 degrees without tip burn.
    And I spray 30-0-0 50% slow at temps above 85 without tip burn. But thats here in Oklahoma. I was concerned when I first started because of the low amount of water used but it worked for me.

2. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

I spray 46-0-0 Uflexx at 1.5 gallons per 1000 up to 80 degrees without tip burn.
    And I spray 30-0-0 50% slow at temps above 85 without tip burn. But thats here in Oklahoma. I was concerned when I first started because of the low amount of water used but it worked for me.[/QUOTE]

for the 46-0-0 uflexx, what pounds Nitrogen/M is that at?

i want to do something similar; 0.5 Lb N/M of 46-0-0 100% uflexx , ideally in 1 gallon or less/M

3. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

two 50# bags per acre.

4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask for the 4-4-5 Iron chelate liquid. It's cheaper per 1000 sq. ft., PLUS it lasts longer, has a lower staining potential, and has a near neutral pH for greater tank mix compatibility. Much better product IMO. The only downside is if you need a small quantity. 4 + acre coverage per 2.5Gal. vs. 1 acre coverage.

12-0-0 is a mix of Fe EDTA + FE sulfate, supplies roughly .1 #N/M (1 acre)

4-4-5 is Fe citrate (better) (4 - 4.5 acres)

oh, and the 4-4-5 works better at 44Gal/acre than the 12-0-0. I've used the 12-0-0 at 66Gal/acre w/pretty good results, but wouldn't go less than that.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you.
    That is good information. It helps. :drinkup:

6. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

I should have added that although I usually spray 3 gal per K I have sprayed 2 gal when I know that my mix is going to get watered in quickly.

Matt

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

very specific question:
    would spraying straight urea be more likely to burn than the same amount of UFLEXX or UMAXX? ... with of course the same N rates and same volume.

after all, uflexx/maxx are just urea with that crap added.
    obviously, the concentration of the solution sitting on the blades of grass is what dictates burn/no burn ... so does that chem thats added to flexx/maxx have an impact on this? or just an impact speed of availability to ROOTS?

obviously we are intending the majority of the product to be taken up by roots over the next few months.
    i have a feeling with liquids all that matters is how much crap is dissolved.

does anyone think i can spray 1gallon/0.5lb/Ksqrft when temps are below 75?

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

The type of grass is super important as to which fertilize to apply--you did not mention that as a lot of guys do here thinking that all grass is the same--It is not. However, since you are in Florida and since you probably have St. Augustine or Centipede or Bermuda turf, do not overlook the vital importance of using potassium to support the root system. With the heat, almost all southern turf grass needs more root system to hold the water even if irrigated. St. Augustine is a nitrogen hog. Contrary to most, urea nitrogen promotes more fungus growth when left in a granular form on the blades. Therefore after spraying with 14-0-46 and ammonium sulfate 21-0-0 watering in well immediately would benefit the grass. The addition of micro-nutrients with iron would further promote grass health.

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is almost 4 years old. Not sure if any of those guys are still active on this site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Reviving an old thread...

I choose to use all granular since my applications are at a volume less than 1 gallon per k. I also have an average lawn size of 12k.

I'd like to incorporate some liquids apps or even organics at some times but I find the cost to be too high. Maybe I can provide the best service/product and in return charge a premium price with the ability to offer liquid fert apps.