1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Turf Growth Regulator

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newguy123, Mar 6, 2013.

1. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody ever use turf growth regulator on hills, etc.? Is using it being lazy, smart???

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Expensive and will be extra work when it wears off and rebounds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. newguy123

So the cost to apply it is more expensive that the labor cost of mowing a hill, etc.?

4. Patriot Services

Have you priced these products?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. newguy123

I've looked at the price of the product but not the coverage area or re-application costs.

I read an article from a University in Wisconsin that stated how to "prevent" the rebound. Evidently as the temperature rises the duration of effectiveness decreases.

6. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Research the growth regulation qualities of Glyphosate. I've been experimenting with it for 2 years now.
    Otherwise, actual growth regulating products are pricey pricey.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. newguy123

Glyphosate how has this helped?

8. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a little research into this and glyphosate will act as a growth regulator, but the concentration must be extremely small. Otherwise, as other posters have stated, dedicated growth regulators are expensive. Think of it this way - if you apply a growth regulator to a property and it costs you $200 and lasts a month, how many times can you mow it for $200.

9. Patriot Services

Having done some some experimentation I will say this. For bush and hedge maint it is well worth it and does require a higher app rate in summer temps. The results with turf are less than spectacular. You will still have clumps that give it an unkempt experience. The Gly approach is risky and the likely hood of getting an even app on a hillside is slim. Overapply the Gly and you now have a kill off. Chemical mowing has been discussed here before and with limited success.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. newguy123

Okay...what about for trimming around landscape edges/trees, etc.?