1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Dec 15, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

There was a real good article in Turf Magazine this month concerning home office deductions. The tax laws have changed this year so it might be worth looking in to.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I saw that. Home office deductions are something I avoid like the plague. If there are 2 things that are sure to get you audited it's home office deductions and claiming sub-contractors. While I have no fear of an audit I really don't have the time.
  3. HOMER

So what your saying is this might be a trap??????????read the article, take the deduction and still get audited, I hope not. I need all I can get and I qualify per the guidelines. Have no fear, remember, it's a kinder, gentler IRS now, more user friendly.

I hope

4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

How can I subscribe to this Turf Mag or any magazines for that. I signed up for a year free when I bought my Toro but still havent recevied a copy after 3 months and I dont rember the name. But I am interested in anything to do with the business as I push towards fulltime. So any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I take the home/office deduction. Now you tell me its a trap LOL. I wont be sleeping to well from now on. I have a room that I just use for paperwork. You can't even have a tv in that room for it to qualify. I use my garage just to store and repair equipment. Its a write off too Like everyone we need all the right offs we can get
  6. HOMER

No I didn't say that it was a trap. Well I did, but I was being sarcastic. I fully intend to take the deduction this year and will send pictures with my tax form if I have to!

As for Turf and other magazines, do a search on "Magazines" or "subscriptions", I think either one will give you links to a mess of them!

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Scottb: For Turf look at the top of the page...there is a link...for the others search...there are posts with links to all of them
  8. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

Richard Martin

I've deducted sub-contractors for about 4 years now I ha.ve not been audited.

As far as home office deductions I don't have anything that qualifies at this time.

But if I did I would claim it. If they want to audit you they are going to do it. Why give them more $$ than whats is required.
  9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

That was a good article, the laws have loosened compared to past years. You can have a TV in there and the article also says that you can have "other furniture" in the room..
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel