Turf Management Courses??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jul 16, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have done a search, but was looking for some recent insight to either University of Georgia or Purdue University's Turf Management courses.

Has anyone recently or currently enrolled in one of these courses? Are there any other creditable courses out there?
    Should I save the $300 and just hit the library?

Earlier this year I received my chem app license and know now I need more education.

Any help?
    MATT

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

You can never have too much education! The $300 will pay for itself quickly & you will have the piece of paper that shows you went through an accredited course

3. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

The piece of paper will be worthless unless you are trying to work for someone else. If you are self employed - no value at all.

But, there is nothing wrong with education! The only problem is that education and real-world experience are two different things. The education will give you confidence to BS your way through many difficult situations until your experience is great enough to just tell it like it is. Text books are correct, but the context is difficult to grasp until you are out doing it.

You have to see problems in the real world to see how the same issue can manifest itself in many different ways.

Go take the course. I took a week long one in Maryland 10 years ago. At the time I learned a lot. Now the info I learned seems so basic - but you gotta go through it all - no way around it!

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Gotta disagree with Eric - the paper is not worthless - it can put on a business card, copy of the contract, etc. You are correct hands on experience is the way to go. But maybe a class will help him from having to "learn by mistakes".

Just a thought

5. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

I am wanting to take some courses as well, mainly to get my chem app license but im not sure how to do it?

6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Do you have a local college or state extention office? State could give you information. Good for you - will let you extend your business & know what your doing

7. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Yes we have a purdue extension office at our local courthouse

8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Try IN Dept of Agriculture on internet. Navigate till you find a College or University. Try a search on this site and youll probably find plenty of direction.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the info! I spent an additional few hours this morning digging up more threads that I had not seen before. Over whelming responses recommended the course, so I went ahead and ordered it earlier this afternoon.

MATT

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What about Michigan State University's Turfgrass Management program? They graduate tons of people that go on to successful turfgrass careers. I thought about it for a while. They have a golf course program, a program for stadium turf management, and then landscaping/lawnmowing business programs.

:D