Turf Mate versus Turf Saver

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by J.Gordon, May 4, 2004.

1. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I sliced the sidewall on My W/B and went to the tire shop to get a replacement tire, all they had was a Deestone 20x10x8 which is the size tire that my W/B use’s. It was about $30.00, which is cheap compared to the Turf mate that I have found online for $58.00 with shipping added. I put the Deestone on to get back to working. This tire looks just like the Turf Saver. It looks like the Turf Saver is more rugged than the Turf mate.
    I have noticed that the turf saver look alike will tear up the grass quicker because it doesn’t have the traction that the Turf mate and will spin very easy. No one has the 20x10x8 Turf mate in my area. I will gladly pay more for the Turf mate because of the increased traction and not tearing up the turf. Is there a good place on the Internet to buy tires reasonably? I would like to keep a couple of spares on hand incase this problem arises again. Thank you for any help you give!
    I will also put this post in the Commercial forums.
    Jeff

2. J.Gordon

Well I got lucky, I found the 20 x10x 8 Turf mate tire at a farm supply for about $50.00 !
    Jeff

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. J.Gordon

Thank you for the link. They have good prices:)

Jeff

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

6. J.Gordon

Thanks Pete !!!!!!!!!!
    Jeff

7. Doc Pete

Maxxis has a great new tire out 20x10x8, and is a good trade off between traction vs. divoting and it's a "2ply", which also makes it a soft ride.
    Get this....... the price, $12.50 each. I've already bought 4 and will buying 4 more.
    I'll have a pic later.
    Pete

8. J.Gordon

Thats a great price! I am going to check into them.
    Jeff

9. Doc Pete

OK,
    Here's the website.

http://www.maxxis.com/

Then, go to "lawn and garden". Then, you want to look at the "M9229" tire. As I said, this is a 20x10x8 tire and a 2 ply, which makes it nice and soft, unlike the turf mate which is a harder 4 ply tire.
    Pete