Turf Paint (dye)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I am wanting to start offering turf painting. What is the best Turf paint to use? Where can I get it? I am looking for a dye base paint. I'm not wanting to do anything fancy at first, just paint some dormant grass green. Maybe later I will get into stencils and different colors.

My main concern is the look of the Paint (dye). The second is cost when diluted.

Anyone use this stuff http://www.missouriturfpaint.com/paint_gpptrfcl.html or this stuff http://www.beckerunderwood.com/products/greenlawnger-Tu.shtml

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Lesco used to offer some lawn dye (at least last year they did). I was going to do this to my own lawn this year just to see how it looks. From previous thread I have read there was a problem with overlapping and streaks. I might have to give this a try this week while the temps are in the 60's. Honestly, I don't think in my area there is much of a demand for this, just because I have not seen any lawns with this done to them.

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

ditto : payup

4. Soupy

I have not seen this done in my area either. But I think if promoted right (and I know you know how to promote) it can be sold. Just another way to set your business apart from the rest. Now, i better not see any of my local competitors offering this service next year or I might have to send my goons out for a visit :)

I heard bad things about the lesco product too. I think they use a latex base paint. I am after a dye rather then a paint. I have read up on this a little and one golf superintendent recommended either Green Lawger or Green Graphic lawn paint. So now all I have to do is fine the best place to buy these two brands.

5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Find some Greenlawnger. That's what we use one golf courses.

6. Soupy

Can you give some opinions on this product.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Are you going into stenciling sports fields too? What direction are you taking this? Just for residentials?

8. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

I've used some to cover about 10 areas that a client had killed by using the wrong kind of weed killer in his yard. Let me search for the bottle in my shop and I'll get back to you.

It worked good, had to reapply it every couple of weeks. The hard part was getting the mix right to blend in with the existing grass. From a distance, you couldn't tell, and that was what they were most concerned with.

Tim.

9. Soupy

I'm wanting to use it for seasonal color of dormant grass. I will probably pick a couple of high profile lawns and give them a freebie (along with a yard sign) to promote the service. It will be done with a hand can, so there isn't much cost involved in trying to see were it goes.

As for the stenciling, I'm not sure about that. I was thinking I would offer it as a high priced novelty. I don't think I could be cost effective enough for a sports field.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We looked into the paint machine to do the steciling and striping of the highschool football field and they didn't buy it. After I left they got a machine to just do the lines with. Could be a good business but schools would want you to donate it so not a money maker. We looked at dyes in stead of overseeding but when we worked it out it, wasn't going to save money in our situation. It's been awhile so I can't rember the exact cost of the paints and dyes but the machine they used to do the hash marks and endzone stuff was a Graco parking lot striper with a spray gun attached, Briggs engine and if I remeber correctly the cheif painter said it was around 3500 bucks that was quite some time ago. They used it to do a school mascot in front of the graduation stage one year, looked great. The sprayer for the dye that we looked at was a little trailer model and that was a couple grand too. It would be hard to get your money back out of it. Overseeding rye is a bigger money maker, scalp, seed, starter fert., throw mulch lots of labor(actaully very little if have the right tools) and then onto the $. You'd have to survey to see how much interest there is in the service before buying all the stuff. I tried looking back through some of my magazines for the name of the dye but I haven't found it yet. If I find it I'll PM it to you.