Turf Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Zach2b, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Zach2b

Zach2b LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Anyone know what this could be? There were several big patches in the backyard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you were here in CT I'd say that it looks like dead crabgrass. What kind of turf is that? Are you in C3 or C4 territory?

3. Zach2b

Zach2b LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It is St. Augustine. We are C4

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

what month did the patches form?

could be possilbe chemical burn or chinchbug damage!

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

It looks to me to be a combination of many things Attributed to Gross mismanagement. However The Shade from the trees may or may not be an issue depending on how heavy the Canopy is. If this is St Augustine turf, which it looks to be under feed St Augustine, then It needs to be either plugged or sodded. St Augustine will response better in 30% shade or 70% sunlight. From the looks of the trees I think the St Augustine is Getting that perfect Light Ratio. Be sure the Irrigation is working properly and fertilize the new plugs or sod to bring it back to where it should be.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am from Michigan. Take this with a grain of salt. Look carefully at the grass under the trees. To me, it looks in better shape. If that is the case--I would say the shade protected the grass from the hot sun last year. And that the remainder burned out due to hot sun. Was irrigation working OK? Is the camera facing south?

On the other hand, did you check for cinchbugs last year? Do you have grub problems in your part of the country? Did you check for soil insects? Disease? Non-labeled herbicide?

Get rid of that pipe sticking up--not good for your blades.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Was that pipe part of the irrigation system?

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fool

That Pipe is there as a Base for something like a Cloth Line Pole. Irrigation doesn't use thin walled Galv. Pipe. Or do you Cement in Irrigation Pipe

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to tell from the pic,could be any number of things. Does the turf pull up easily?If so , roll it back and check for grubs. Is the whole plant brown or just the blade/ Need more info.

10. Zach2b

Zach2b LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I think it was probably cinch bugs. Hard to tell though since she said that it started turning this way in august. I don't service this yard, she just called me the other day to see if I could find out what the problem was.