Turf Ranger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jul 18, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Exmark Turf Ranger? Or if you have one? If so, what do you think of them? If not, have you heard anything about them?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One of my machines is the Gravely Promaster 300H. It is Gravely's equivalent to the Turf Ranger. It is a neat machine, and great for it's applications. Smooth, and it is great for reaching in under stuff, as well. I had a Turf Ranger for a day or so when My Gravely went down one time. It worked great. One thing I CAN tell you for sure....the Gravely can't hold a candle to the Turf Ranger for cut quality.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok, having owned one I'll tell you the problem with these big 3 wheelers.

They are loong. Thats with two o's in it! And they turn like a belt drive walk behind, no true zero turning. This lenght and immaneuverability is a bad combination. They are good on hills and around trees, but you can't zero turn it and they only go 6.something mph. The Scag model STHM 3 wheeler I had was a great machine but the speed, lenght and lack of zero turn was just not for me.... 95% of the time I was mowing wide open and wanted to go faster, and could have because of the conditions. But it will mow very fast on a hill, because of it's stability and balance and design it lets you go as fast as you want and still be safe. They're comfortable to operate too because the steering bar gives you something to hold onto to balance yourself, can't do that with a ZTR. They are good if you have lots and lots of trees or hills. But if you want sheer productivity or if you have lawns under an acre, I don't think this is for you. A local cutter had a 60" Turf Ranger and this year got a 60" Lazer. One property was taking him 3 hrs with the Turf Ranger, now it takes him only 2 with the Lazer. The extra speed and maneuverability makes a big difference.

Here's the Scag I had. The deck lift was via a cable and winch setup which wasn't bad unless you find yourself raising the deck a bit in the yard for balance (extra traction :D) or little stumps, etc. The Turf Ranger has electric lift so you don't have to worry about that.