Turf savers on a ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone running Turf Savers on their ZTR?

I found a Z that I like. But, for some reason it was crated with Turf Savers, which isn't a "stock" tire for it. I could be wrong, but I don't expect much traction from them. But I don't want to rule the machine out over a set of rear tires.

I know this is a double standard, but what tire provides the most traction with minimal turf damage?

Also, the front tires are ribbed rather than smooth. Is anyone having trouble with turf damage from the ribs?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Somebody....:sleeping:

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What ztr?
    What tires do you have now?
    What tires should it have had?

Refresh my memory, which one is the turf saver? The rounded one?

4. greendaylawns

greendaylawns LawnSite Member

I live in Florida and all I see is Turf Saver Tires on ZTR'S, exept on Dixie Choppers And some Grasshoppers.I'm also not sure why they put ribbed tires in the front, since a ztr does not steer from the front. If you worried about traction with the turf savers all you need to do is basically get wider tires to compensate, and just look for a more aggresive tread pattern. Hope I was able to help.

5. Envy Lawn Service

It's a Yazoo/Kees and it should have the same tires as Exmark. They use the same stock tire. However, greendaylawns brought up a point. It may be that my distributor serves an area like FL that prefers the Turf Saver and my dealer just happened to get some.

:confused:

Here is what Turf Savers look like tread wise....

turfsaver.gif

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Those tires work just fine. I have those on a w.b and one of the Z's Hell if you dont turn just right with the Z's a turf saver will STILL rip up grass. They work fine in the way of traction in bare wet areas.

7. Envy Lawn Service

So they provide pretty much the same amount of traction as the others?

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

I used to run them 24x12x12, three yrs back i switched to the Carlisle Turf Mate R/S 23x10.50x12 They seem to hold better on hills, that 1" makes a big difference, My friend sold me on them he cut many hilly accounts...........Marks Mowing Service

9. Envy Lawn Service

Mark P,

These Turf Savers are the 23x10.5-12 size if I'm not mistaken.

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Envy Lawn they should hold real well on hills the turfmate is shaped a little diff, but i do like the 23x10.50x12 alot better on hilly ground, sets lower to the ground and does hold better plus the tread is easy on the turf......Marks Mowing Service