Turf still pale yellow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cvlm, Jun 27, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Fertilized with best 16-6-8 late spring turf still did not green up some areas of green but primarily yellow could this be an iron problem and can i put some ironite down i am just affraid i will hurt the turf with the iron put down in this heat or risk fungus the turf is tall fescue zone 7 approx temp mid day 104-106 any advise would be helpful. thanks

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check your pH. Low soil pH can prevent nutrient uptake

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

16-6-8, That's not a lot of Nitrogen, depending on the application rate, you'd need at least 6+ lbs per 1,000 sq ft. If you have a half acre of grass and used 1 bag that would be the problem, of course from your post I don't know how much you used or how big your lawn is. As far as the iron goes, go ahead, I've never heard of burning a lawn with iron, just apply at the label rates.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

that would be 6 lbs per 1000 per season, not all at once, just for clarification..lol..slow releasing iron sources, like granular ironite are fine in whatever heat you have, but yellowing can also be from too much shade in areas , overwatering or even an uneven application your first go around. depending on your areas soil ph and chemistry, you may or may not need that sort of ratio for P-K in relation to the nitrogen source. Ask your local extension office what the local soils are in need of and make your choices from there. In the meantime, apply some iron, in an even, proper fashion in amounts suggested on the label of what you buy, watch for overwatering or pooling, look at the shade in the poorly responding areas and good luck

5. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advise no shaded areas how about some advise regarding watering tall fescue lots of clay in this soil and some slope not much so i get runoff in approx 10 min of watering looks like a fountain running down the sidewalk so i have cut back the time but i am watering more times per day in the morning we can only water three days a week around here what do you guys think any advise on the watering part thanks.:usflag:

6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Is tall fescue supposed to look good in 106 degree temps?

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

green utah...I think he meant 6 lbs of product per 1000 not 6lbs of nitrogen per 1000...:rolleyes:

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

as you can see....could be a number of things

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Clay needs to be kept open,s o if you haven't aerated, do it. If it's compacted again, do it again. Make it part of your regular maintenance on that soil. The good news about clay is that once you can penetrate it, it will hold your water and fert for longer periods. TF will do fine in the heat and in fact, does much better than bluegrass due to it's more extensive and deeper reaching root system. ten minute cycles though, are likely only wetting the upper layers of the soil and therefore you cannot take advantage of TF's ability to drive deeper. open it up, stack your water cycles, if need be, to avoid runoff on the three days a week that you can water. run, hour soak time, run again...you get the idea. I don't know specifically what part of cal you are in, but most of the land grant universities track transevaporation rates, so if you have one near you, you can get that info from them and specifically find out exactly how much water you need to be replacing with each irrigation cycle for the current period. UC Davis has quite a bit of info for TF in Cal, you may want to start there.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

See if you can get some good quality compost and top dress you lawn. Aerate the heck out of it (3 directions) pick up the cores, and then top dress it with compost. That shoul help alleviate the compaction and make the soil better for growing.