Turf Tiger 29 or 35

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danrclem, Oct 16, 2011.

1. danrclem

danrclem LawnSite Member

I'm planning on buying a Scag TT with a 61" and have found two for 8,999 + tax each. One has the 35 hp Vanguard and the other has a 29 liquid cooled Kawasaki. The 29 Kawasaki is a demo and is supposed to look new. I'm not sure how many hours are on the 29. Can these be bought any cheaper and which one would be the best deal.

Danny

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good deal on both. The 29 is always higher priced than the 35 Briggs. I have a 29 and it would be what I would buy again. They sip gas, but if they are out of war. they could cost more to repair. Mine has about 1200hrs and still runs like new. The 29 is around 11000 new. Now I am talking about the DFI model not the carb version.

3. A+Grounds

A+Grounds LawnSite Member

35, too much horsepower is almost enough. you'll kick yourself the day when you have a bagger or long grass. the fuel consumption between the 2, probably not enough to want a smaller engine.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That big block has almost 10lb/ft over the Kawi.

That is a LOT.

If time is money, you'll save it by not having to slow down in thick grass when you pick the big block.

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

The main differences is gph. The 29 kawi gets 1gph. The 35 briggs get 1.8gph (I own one). The power is nice but if you mow weekly the 29 kawi is plenty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have 2 29 kawis and they dont get anywhere near 1 gph. I havent figured the exact but that 1.8 figure has got to be pretty close. But its also a very powerful motor. I brush hog with the things. That 35 ought to be earth shattering.

7. djagusch

from MN

Side by side I demo'd a 29dfi and 35 briggs. Got 1gph and 1.8gph over 2 days time. I bought the briggs and still get that 1.8gph. I also own the 27HP carb'd kawi and that gets 1.3gph every time I have checked over the last 2000hrs. My next will be the 29dfi as I have the 35 briggs when need be.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thats why. Mine are the 29 carbs. They have alot more torque that the dfi.

9. djagusch

from MN

And they are not on a tt either.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY