1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tiger Clutch Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr Mow It All, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Mr Mow It All

Mr Mow It All LawnSite Member

I have a 61in. turf tiger three years old and only 700 hours on it and the pto clutch went out. Is this a common problem? How costly is it to repair?
  2. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Mine went out around that time, but it was under warranty.
  3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I had one go out on my scag sthm while under warranty, but has run over 1000 hours since replacement. I'd figure around $250 for a new clutch. Lynn
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This is something that I learned from Lawnsite. Don't engage or disengage the clutch a full throttle. This will wear it out faster.
  5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I've got one for sale @ $100.00 just email me if you are interested.

6. Mr Mow It All

Mr Mow It All LawnSite Member

Okay, now I've been told that it could be just the switch and not the whole clutch. How do i know?
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

By pass the switch and see if it engages. Just don't have your toes under the deck when you do this. By pass the seat switch and the clutch switch and you shouldn't need it running to do this, I don't think. I'm not familiar with your brand so I could be wrong, like the weatherguessers. :)
  8. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Mr mow it all:
    I am having problems with my email so I'll post here in case you don't recieve them. I have 2 electric pto clutches in stock and they are both from Scag mowers. The one for sale is from a wb 61" deck and I think they are basically all the same. We have interchanged with no problem.
    The part is a Warner Electric # 5215-99
    Pulley # is 2846
    Shaft arbor hole is 1"
    Used about 150 hours. Nothing wrong with it.
    Check with your Scag dealer to see if it will work. The last time I bought a new one it was $160.00. $475 plus labor sounds real high.
    You could have a switch problem. Just turn the key into the on position and short out the pto switch. You should here a strong click. No need to start the mower to do this.
    If you get a "click" then replace the switch. If not, make sure that the wiring is good from the switch down to the clutch.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Scag clutch fell off one day while mowing----------what a mess. That's another thing you need to look at every now and then to see if everything is tight. Cost me over $300.00 to get repaired.

Great thing about a Chopper---------------no electric cluth!
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lol homer..... sounds firmiliar! When i had my gravely 3 wheeler i went to go over a small curb and the entire clutch fell off.... im not happy when equipment goes down in the middle of the day but this time... i had to laugh.