1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tiger Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A Cut Above Lawn Care, Jun 16, 2010.

1. A Cut Above Lawn Care

A Cut Above Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Well, I was highly interested in the Briggs Vanguard 35HP Scag Turf Tiger. The dealer did not have any in stock. I have cut with the velocity deck so I just had to figure out what motor option I wanted.

Long story short, the demo mower was a Kaw 27HP LC with 18 hours. It looks brand new. I asked if he would be willing to sell the demo, so he called his rep. The Kaw 27HP LC TT is $10,999 new at this dealer. I opted for the suspension seat ($450) and got out the door for $10,650 including tax. So I roughly got $1,600 off the price of a new one for 18 hours. Will the 27 be enough to push pumps and motors?

I will have pics to come...
  2. taylo708

taylo708 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am interested to see what people say too, I just bought a 2009 left over from last year turf tiger with a 31hp efi kohler and I think it is a dog. I took it to the dealer and they said it is fine and has plenty of power. So im not sure if it is just that my motor is messed up or that is how they run. I do know that I am losing coolant though I have filled the overflow once already and is about half way down again and have only but about 45 hours on it.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's no comparison to the 35 briggs.

Not sure if SCAG uses the same pumps/motors on the 27 as they do the 35. (not sure where the cutoff is)

The 27 will be quieter!
  4. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 29 dfi 61" TT and I agree it is slightly underpowered but if you're cutting what you should be cutting it has plenty. Pumps on the TT sure do draw a lot but man is it smooth and responsive. I dont know if the same pumps are on the 27 or not???? It should be fine you just may need to slow down a bit. I see on Kawasaki's website they have a new 31 DFI and i am hoping Scag upgrades to it it goes from 791 to 851 cc's and has 10 more ft. lbs of torque. I think that would be a major upgrade. Let us know how she works i know i ran a Badboy AOS 60" with that 27 kawi and in anything of normal growth to slightly overgrown it was fine. I only had one yard it was tough to mow and its because it grows roughly 6" every 4 days and is THICK!
  5. keithslawnc

keithslawnc LawnSite Member

I just bought a 61" TT w/ a 35 briggs liquid cooled. It has the same torqe rating as the cat diesel for a lot less money. The 35 is a beast but seems to be a little thirsty. I am tracking hour per gallon and will post what I find. The pumps are all 16cc on the turf tigers but they upgrade the wheel motor at or above 29hp. So the 27hp will have the smaller wheel motor. The first zero turn I bought back in 2001 was a TT w/ 27 L/C Kaw and it was a little under powered. I paid a few hundred more for the 35 briggs liquid cooled then you paid for the 27hp.
  6. A Cut Above Lawn Care

Here are several pics, he had to order the suspension seat so I have not received it yet. He's delivering 60 miles, sweet...

Sorry, iphone camera is subpar...
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, nice machine there!
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The 27 will be adequate, unless you are in continuous heavy cutting day in and day out, but there is no comparison between a 27 Kawi and 35 Vanguard power wise. The 35 will cut through areas that will pull the rpm's down on a 27 but never cause the governor to activate on the 35. The 35 Vanguard is much more engine than a 27 Kawasaki when it comes to raw power.

You should have good power with the 31 Aegis, not the power of a 35 Vanguard, but still good power. Your engine should not be losing coolant, check the rpm's and run a compression test so that you know the exact numbers. Your coolant is going somewhere, and if you are not seeing a leak it is going through the engine.
  9. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

What puppypawls said, have the 27hp Kohler on the TT and some properties my son cut are 5 acres at a time with hills and its a cutting machine. Would have should have got the suspension seat though.
  10. A Cut Above Lawn Care

Briggs Vanguard 35Hp Liquid Cooled...

Why doesn't Scag offer this option anymore? I would have love to have had the LC version of the Vanguard. That would have been the ultimate mower. I want a mower that will last (Liquid Cooled). I wanted LC initially, but there were out my range. I came upon this demo and that is where I sit today... I didn't even know they ever offered the Vanguard 35 in a LC version. I wonder how much more the LC version would have been if it were an option.

My brother-in-law has a Wildcat 26HP Kaw LC, and it didn't bog any in the week I mowed with it...only the TT will have bigger pumps and wheel motors, heavier frame, etc...
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010