Turf Tiger hydro pumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tralfaz, Jun 26, 2001.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

Has anyone with a Turf Tiger ever had any problems with your hydro pumps? I have had a Turf Tiger for a little over two years and have had problems with the pumps 4 seperate times. Luckily, the first 3 were under warranty. Alas, the last time was not, which not only cost me several bucks to replace but also the inconvienance of not having it for 3 days.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have not (don't own a Scag) but this is starting to be a common problem. There was a thread recently about Scag hydro problems. Use the search button at the top of the page and you'll find it.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

4. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Mine is a 1999 Turf Tiger. I had to replace the right side pump, wheel motor, and hub with around 250 hours on the machine. After I got this done I could tell that the left side wasn't to par with the right that had just been replaced. Left side will need replacement, but I'm trying to milk it out as long as I can. Last night was bad, it jerked all over the place. Makes it hard to keep the stripes totally straight. What year is yours? Sounds like it is probably the same year as mine. I've heard that they have changed the pump design, but I still don't know if I'd want to buy another one.

5. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

JLC,
    Yes, mine is a 1999 Turf Tiger. Other than the hydro problems, I've been pretty satisfied with it. I am about to reach 1,000 hours on it. I have an old Scag walkbehind (probably a '91) and have never had any trouble out of it. I know that they don't get quite the workout that the Turf Tiger does though.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the new bigger sabre toothe has a bigger hydro setup, and the skag rep told me the ner igers all have improved hydro systems. there had to have been a problem or they wouldn't have fixed it. Dave g

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A friend of mine bought a new Turf Tiger last month. Last week a hydro pump went bad on it. I think he only has about 75hr on it. Dealer took 3 days to get pump and put it on. My friend was not too happy. I looked at it when it came back and I dont see any system for cooling the hydro oil or pumps. Am I missing something or could this be why Scag pumps are failing?

8. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Mowingman,

Was this a 2001 model. If so that is outragous. I can't believe Scag hasn't fixed this problem in 3 years. You're correct as far as I know, Scag has no cooling system for the hydro's. If I had a brand new cutter with 75 hours on it and it chucks a wheel motor I'd be cutting my losses and buying something different. I wish I would have when my first one failed. Sounds like this problem will just keep reoccuring.

9. Last Cut

Last Cut LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

Hi Got my tiger last month the right side pump went bad in the first 8 hrs

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

JLC,
    Yes, it is a 2001 model.