Turf tiger not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DOUGE2, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I've done searches on this topic and found some good info but still have not solved my charging problem. I have the scags 23hp Kawasaki engine FD671D-AS01. I've replace the fuse holder and fuse + new battery. Mower will run great until battery dies and everything stops cold. I also put a volt meter on the two wires coming from the stator and it shows no current. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct testing method; so any advice would be appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

With the two stator wires disconnected and at 3/4 throttle you should have 28+ AC volts across the two......

3. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I got nothing across the rwo wires. Should I be checking it with the same settings on meter that I check battery voltage?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

NO, Put your meter on AC volts

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Voltage regulator or stator. I would bet regulator
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Downstream of the regulator--you should get about 14.2 volts DC, when measured at the battery posts, when the motor is running. That much is required to charge the battery. I hope its the regulator--easier to replace.

A fully charged battery should read about 13.2 volts, but it will leak down to about 12.8 volts in a few hours, normally.

7. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Okay. Thanks.

8. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Reading across battery running and not running was 12.2 at any speed and would drop if blades were turned on.

9. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I'm hoping regulator too. :)

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

My question was answered