Turf tiger not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DOUGE2, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I finally got around to to testing the output on the stator and the voltage is around 25 to 28. So from what I've read and learned here; I'll assume that the voltage regulator is the culprit. I did inspect harness and it seems to be in good shape. Any suggestion on brand or sales/ prices are all over the place.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Make SURE you have battery voltage to/at the regulator and a good ground, If so here's a aftermarket replacement; http://tewarehouse.com/10673

3. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Will do. Thanks for the assistance.

4. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I've replaced voltage regulator and voltage still drops when blades are engaged. I cut for about two hours and voltage on battery went from 12.2 to 11.98 with engine running. The ammeter on the mower shows to the negative side. Could anything else be the culprit?

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

What's the volts going to the reg?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Around 23 to 25

7. Restrorob

What's the voltage on the battery with full charge (put on 10 amp charger for couple hours) without the deck running at full throttle ?

What's the model and serial number on this machine ?

8. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Model # STT52A-23KA
    Serial # 7700256

The battery was at 12.2 before I started. I will put it on charge tonight and get back with you on voltage. I only have a 6amp charger though.
    Thanks.

9. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Where do I check? I checked it across the fuse and it was 3.4 to 3.9 . I have no idea what it's supposed be.

10. Restrorob

Check at the battery power feed wire on the voltage regulator, You should have full (12.5) battery voltage......

After charging the battery let it sit for atleast a hour before testing charging system output as I mentioned, This will allow the higher surface charge to dissipate.

While waiting for the battery to charge, Check and adjust your PTO clutch..... A worn clutch with excessive air gap can draw too much voltage and cause low battery issues.....

Instructions; http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1463590&postcount=2