Turf tiger not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DOUGE2, Apr 16, 2014.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

That diesnt make much sense. You should at least show battery voltage. Restrorob does the ignition switch start and stop flow from the voltage reg?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Some machines have the regulator feed wire ran through the ignition switch, Some are wired directly to the starter solenoid positive battery post with a 30 amp inline fuse holder......

This machine runs from the ignition switch to the ammeter from the ammeter to a fuse then to the regulator, A short in the ammeter can cause a voltage drop to the regulator...... A test for that would be disconnecting both ammeter wires and hold them together while testing voltage to/at the regulator.....

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

Which would be why is showing around 3 volts at the fuse. Sounds like a likley scenario here
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Hey Rob. After following the last couple of notes: I pulled the control panel and noticed the single wire connected to the start switch was corroded pretty bad and appeared as though it may have overheated at some point. It was really loose. I cleaned it and reconnected it and made sure it got a good connection. I started machine and ammeter showed to the positive side at idle. After increasing throttle the mower would shut down and not start for about 5 mins. I started it again and same thing. I removed the new regulator and re-installed the old one and everything worked fine. Apparently the wire from the switch was the culprit. I don't understand why mower wouldn't run at half or full throttle with the new regulator however.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

6. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

Good question that led to good solution.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you haven't, I'd still check the PTO adjustment.....

8. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

I'm unfamiliar with how that is done and what the adjustment should be. What's your theory on the new regulator issue? and why does it start after a couple of minutes?

9. JCLawn and more

from MI

Did it not even try to turn over and did hear the starter even click?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DOUGE2

DOUGE2 LawnSite Member

No click from the starter but the fuel pump would run and if I pulled the PTO I could hear it click.