Turf Tiger Oil Change

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TLC Lawn Care, Oct 18, 2005.

1. TLC Lawn Care

TLC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What is up with the engineers at Scag??? I just purchased my first commercial Turf Tiger mower and when I went to change the break-in oil, I learned these bright engineers placed the damn drain plug behind the hydraulic pumps. You dont even have enough room to turn a socket wrench to get the drain plug unfastened. Couldn't they have placed the drain plug in a more suitable location.... They obviously have never changed the damn oil in one of these mowers.....:cool2: Whew, I feel better now.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

WOW, I have a tiger cub and the oil drain system is well thought out on it. It has a valve that you open and the oil drains in a pan and there is a nice cut out in the frame for the oil filter to drain with out getting on everything. Im surprised because the turf tiger sells for alot more than the cub and thought it would atleast have the features or even better features than the cub

3. TLC Lawn Care

I want to correct myself.... Damn Kawasaki engineers, damn them.....

4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

As I recall the Turf Tiger had a valve which took a 10mm wrench on the Left side of the engine near the oil filter? I bought a cheapo ratcheting wrench that fit in that area well.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Thats the set up my Kohler has on the tiger cub

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

TLC,

We just purchased a TT this season with 29HP kawi. Scag has a kit they sell for that engine that extends the drain plug to an area in which changing the oil was easy. I had my dealer place that on within the first week!!

And yes...they couldn't have thought this one out. I tried extensions, all different size ratchets, and even the darn ratchet that allows you to turn at a 45 degree angle. I couldn't come up with a solution...the fan for the hydro pump keep getting in the way.

7. TLC Lawn Care

LB, that extension sounds like what I need. How much does one run? The plug needs a 13/16 socket and the only one I could find at any store was an extended 1 1/2 inch that does not allow my wrench any room to turn... Aargh!!!

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I forget to be honest...

I remember the bill being right around 100 bucks. But since I 3was having them install the drain plug...I obviously had to pay for them to change the oil. I also had them do the hydro fluid as well.

I dunno...25-30 bucks for the extension, 60 for shop labor, another 10-15 for oil...sounds about right.

I didn't care what it cost. I now can (well, my brother, he handles that part of the biz) place an oil pan right under the mower alongside the wheel, loosen, drain....walla....few minutes on non-agrevation work:p