turf tiger or bobcat predator pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jk mow & more, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jk mow & more

jk mow & more LawnSite Member

i want to here from everyone which one i should go with bobcat predator pro 61'' cut 37 hp fuel injection air cooled kawi for $9995 or 61'' turf tiger 29hp liquid cooled kawi digital fuel injection for $11900
    and way not don t want to hear the response i like this one better let me hear what u got to say*trucewhiteflag*:cool2:

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Scag guy all the way. I've got 2 Turf Tigers and they give me excellent results. They are a little lower profile than some mowers and handle hills well for a Z. The shaft drive system is a plus too. I'm not sure what the other brand uses, but the mule drive system can cause belt problems. All in all the Scag Turf Tiger is the best mower for my company. I also have a really professional dealer with good support on parts and service. I'm sure both of these mowers would probably be fine, I cast my vote for Scag.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag all the way for me also. There just aren't any dealers around that can match the service and reliability that my dealer offers. No one even comes close. Not to mention I am on my 4th Scag and no problems yet. Bulletproof machines.

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

They are both solid choices for sure and you should definitely consider dealer support when making your decision. Obviously extremely important when making this a career. I will, however, throw one more in the mix. How about a Bad Boy 60" AOS w/35hp Cat diesel for $12k? Do a comparison of components vs. price and I think you will be impressed http://www.badboymowers.com/view/37 Dealer support may not be there for you depending on your exact location but if this is not a dealbreaker for you it is worthy of a look for sure. Best of luck as I really don't think you can go wrong with either if it comes down to those two.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Kawasaki does not make a 37 fuel injected engine at this time. The 29 dfi will get better fuel economy of course, but then again you have a much more powerful mower with the 37/61 Predator Pro.

The Predator Pro will mow much faster (12.4 mph) in any type grass than the Scag (12 mph); with an equal cut (both good). The ride will be pretty rough on both, but bearable with low air pressure. You will start out making more money with the Bobcat because of the price difference alone. Then you generate greater income cutting more grass in a shorter period of time.

You say to yourself, how can the Predator Pro cut more grass than the TT with only .4 mph difference in cutting speed. The difference is the 37 hp Bobcat will maintain 12.4 mph at all times, where as the 29 dfi TT will drop speed in heavy cutting.

Predator Pro $9995.00 / TT $11900.00

PP = $1905.00 money savings over the TT

PP will cut more grass in a days time with no difference in cut quality

PP will not be as fuel efficient per hr but will cut more grass which equals out

PP & TT ride and handling no real noticeable difference

TT 29 dfi possible longer life but with more maintenance (liquid cooled)

TT will always maintain higher resale value but will be hard to offset $1905.00

Both are excellent mowers but I think you can see the economic difference.

6. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

There is a dealer in Indiana or Illinois that has a Bobcat Predator Pro 72" deck with the 33 HP Generac engine advertised price of $7495.00. Some people don't care for Generac engines but I have one on my Mower (32 HP) and I am very satisfied with it. If you aren't afraid of the Generac powered Bobcat, then that would be an even better deal vs the other two. This dealer has it listed on ebay if you want to check it out or see if your dealer can get you one like it for the same price.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say how the Generac holds up but I will say the big block is a horse. I've run one on the Predator Pro and there is nothing close in the Scag TT engine options power wise except the 35 Vanguard.

We put the 33 Generac up against a 28 hp Cat diesel and it was embarrassing for the diesel. We were in very large thick grass that would have choked the diesel down had we not slowed to a crawl and taken a foot of deck out of the grass. The Generac never changed sounds with a full width of cut which was 61", the 28 Cat had a 72" deck but could not handle it with only 60" of the deck in grass.

No one could understand how powerful the big block Generac and Vanguard engines are unless they operated the mowers themselves.

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Coming from a commercial operation not a farm mower they cut the same amount of grass as long as you maintain the lawns at a decent height. Cut quality goes to the Scag hands down. The 29EFI Kawi has been around for a long time and it time proven for longevity. It also has plenty of power for a 61" deck, I run the 27HP Kawi and have no issues. The .4mph difference I would say is hype. I think another lawnsite member calculated the speed of the 15mph mowers and they were off a couple mph. Really world it's close enough to be the same. You'll save money in fuel with the 29HP. When it comes to build quality and reliability the Scag will out last the PP.

For the 2K difference it wouldn't make me shy away from the Scag. Over the life of the mower you may save that much in fuel. You'll pick it up in resale also. The longevity of the mower comes into play too. Lets say the PP lasts 5 years, I guarantee the Scag will last longer with the same operators and maintenance. 1 extra year would offset the 2K difference and you get the other benefits also.

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Scag Turf Tigers we have 3. I just bought a new 61" with the 29DFI today. All my other Scags have 27 Kohlers but I like the torque of the Kawasaki's.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Actually they do, but its not quite out yet I believe. It was at their update this year though.