turf tiger pto switch burning

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shorty1993, May 5, 2010.

1. shorty1993

shorty1993 LawnSite Member

turf tiger has burned 3 pto switches already. starting to look into the fact that it could be clutch related. i know it can be adjusted some but currently is at about .017 which best i can tell should be within acceptable range. not really at a point to do a trial and error procedure so any advice, horror stories will be so greatly appreciated.

thanks
    chris

2. rotti1968

rotti1968 LawnSite Member

Attached Files:

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the connector where the switch plugs in for melted or discolored connectors.
    Check your fuse holders, loose connections make heat and draw high amps.

4. dadreier

dadreier LawnSite Member

Had the same problem on one of my machines.

It is equipped, however, with a panel mounted ammeter and I could easily see that whatever the fault was, it was drawing so much current that there was barely enough left to charge the battery.

Turned out to be a bad coil in the clutch. Parts were available, but a complete replacement seemed to a better choice, given the number of hours on it.

5. shorty1993

shorty1993 LawnSite Member

first time there was no damage to the connector behind the switch, second time it was melted so i done away with it all together, yet on burned switch #3. this thing will run 1.5-2 hours before it burns the switch which is kinda why i was thinking someting in the clutches was heating over time thus cause amps to spike.

yes this helps. i had gotten some basic voltage checks looking for anything obviously corrupt but this gets it in alot smaller playing field, thanks