1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tiger Scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by henrykinney, Jun 29, 2003.

1. henrykinney

henrykinney LawnSite Member

I have a new Turf Tiger, 27 h.p. .with a 61 inch deck. Up until now it has performed without a lot of scalping. However today I noticed it was scalping like crazy. After checking the deck I noticed that the long bars that are threaded on each end, on either side of the frame, are missing any hardware or nuts at the rear end. I cannot tell from the manual whether it came with any. Have these just vibrated off. Help its the weekend and the shop is closed.
  2. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I don't think it had them from the factory. The stubs that the bar goes through is also threaded. The nut in front is just a locking nut to keep the whole rod from moving. If your scalping now but didn't before it might be tire pressure. If you have a low tire on one side that could lead to scalping. Just a thought. Hope this helps.
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Have you cheeked deck pitch? The front of the deck should be 1/4inch lower than the back or more or less swimming, Correct?
  4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like your tire pressure is low and you might also wanna check your decks cutting height and pitch of the deck. I can't see how those nuts would vibrate off unless they weren't tight when you bought the machine. Mine have stayed on for over 3yrs no problem, and I've never had a scalp problem and if i did it was usually because of low tire pressure or the deck was out of balance.