turf tiger spindles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ryno23, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ryno23

ryno23 LawnSite Member

are the aftermarket spindles any good? they have them on ebay for $65 shipped. oem is about $180. i'll rebuild it before i buy the oem, just thought 65 was a good price but didn't know if they would last.
  2. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

the company i worked for previously was wondering that same thing. they got the aftermarket spindles for their turf tigers and they did not last long at all. i know its a pretty hefty price, but i would definitely buy oem. plus scag spindles are probably one of the best in the entire industry.
  3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Chances are your problem lies in the bearings, the dealer will probably want $50 for the parts set.
  4. ryno23

ryno23 LawnSite Member

thats why i thought about getting the aftermarket ones
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at it this way - I just replaced spindle bearings on a walk behind and the good bearings (SKF) were over $20 each, so that's $40 per spindle just for the bearings. If someone is selling the whole spindle for $65, they have to be using cheap bearings, almost no way around it.
  6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

So far I have replaced 2 spindles because of greese seal failing. never had any problems with the bearings. Both spindles were original scag. 1 had 1500 hrs and 1 had 300 hrs. I had bought 2 spindles on ebay for $45.00 each a while back and swapped them out. So far no problems with them and I replaced the seals on the other 2 and have them for backup.
  7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

They would be worth the chance I would say. Even if they only lasted 1/3 as long ...you are essentially still even correct? Considering they will more than likely last longer than that you should come ahead.
  8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You've wasted enough time contemplating what to buy and searching for a cheaper alternative so you've already spent money by wasting time. Time is money right? Just buy the oem spindles and rebuild the old ones for back ups. It's a tax right off so there is some benefit to the added cost outside the fix for the mower.
  9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

We offer Aftermarket spindles and replacement bearing and shafts for these spindles.

These spindles are made by Raisman and Oregon.

Landscaper Pro
  10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

yes you saved a whole $2 on your taxes if your lucky.