1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tiger Striping Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Jul 21, 2001.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I posted a thread about my striping problem i had with my Turf Tiger about a month ago. The reply's i got helped some but didnt' solve my problem totally. My turf tiger, which has a 52inch adv. deck, strips like a three wheeled lawn mower, meaning it almost looks like there is a third strip down the middle of the stripe. I have sharpened the blades and that hasn't worked, ive adjusted the deck thinking it was the rollers, and thats not the problem either. Now this is my question i heard someone talk about balancing the blades on the mower? How do u do that?? Im guessing that might be my problem that one of the blades is not cutting level or something and making that strange stripe in my pattern. Any help is greatly apreciated.

Matt (Lawnman)
    Still waiting for more rain to cut more grass:rolleyes:
  2. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Its been awhile since I was in the business, and plan on going back in next spring, so I will try to help.

Balancing as people talk about it is when you sharpen the blade you place in on a balancing spindle to ensure even sharpening.

I had a scag 48" that streaked no matter what I did, right out of the box! Factory reps came out, dealer checked it out, nothing could be found. Only later did I find out that it was a flaw in the airflow design of the deck on my model year. I got screwed basically.

At that time I learned a clean cut is more of an airflow management thing then anything else. Maybe some of the other guys on here can recommend new blades (High lift? High tip speed?" to fix your problem.

Good luck.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hadnt thought about it but this one property i pass every day is mowed buy a new tiger.it does have 3 distinct lines in the stripe.
    looks fairly good though.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Having out of balance blades will cause vibration which leads to other problems. If it is cutting uneven, you may have a bent blade. That can cause some strange things. You can check that by measuring from the bottom of the deck to the bottom of the blade. Turn the blade around to the same spot and measure the other end and see if it is the same. Do this on all 2 or 3 blades that you have.

To balance them correctly, you need something like the Magna Matic balancer. This will balance them and you can check for bent blades all with one unit. They are one of our sponsors here at Lawnsite, so go check out their ad and see what they have to offer. http://www.magna-matic.com/ I should be getting my Mag 1000 balancer any day now and I will write a report on this when I get it. :) http://www.magna-matic.com/products/balancers/mag1000.html

To balance a blade, you have to find the heavy end and then grind more off of the heavy end until is balanced. A well balanced blade will make your spindle bearings and other components on a mower last longer. Consider that a tire on an automobile rotates at about 1000 RPM at 60 mph and you get your tires balanced. A mower blade is spinning around 3,600 RPM, which is around 214 mph, so they definately need to be balanced for many reasons. Does this clear up things for you? ;)
  5. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Heres what I believe it is. You say it is leaving a stripe that looks looks like there is a third wheel pushing the grass down. The third stripe comes from the middle blade, and the stripe is the farthest from the discharge side on the middle blade.... When the blade spins it blows the grass forward on the left side making it look like a third wheel was pushing the grass down. the blade continues around pushing the grass backwards. This is why I believe chains or rollers are needed to push the grass back the direction of mowing getting rid of the lines in the stripes. Hope that made sense I am not good at explaining things
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Levi Duncan, it was perfectly clear to me. ;)

If all the members here get striping kits of some sort, we will change the way america looks. :D
  7. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

My Tiger's were doing this till I started using high lifts. now it looks even I agree with the air flow theory.also check length of each blade not all blades are the same don't care what they say.
  8. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I run High lifts along with gator magnums on my tiger and this seems to help give a better looking stripe. In good grass I notice the differance but in real weedy grass it stills leaves a third stripe, like a third wheel. I really need to get chains on my new mower it makes a differance I had them on my old tiger.
  9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Duncan
    I think your right, high lift blades might help solve my problem. Ive heard of this chain thingy that u put on the back of the mower right?? It suppose to drag along the grass to make the perfect stripe look??? Sounds like anyone could jerry rig it up to a mower deck themselves with some chain and like say a small pipe that runs along the back of the mower deck to hang the chains. I dont know if ill go that far, but ill consider the high lift blades, i understand those blades lift the grass up faster??? Also Duncan said that rollers r needed to fix the problem too, well right now the back rollers barely touch if they do its only at when i go over a hill, so r those back rollers suppose to be touching all the time???
    Well thanks, more help is always better
    Matt (Lawnman)
  10. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I made my chain kit from a piece of angle iron
    and some chain and put it on the two bolts at the very rear of mower frame behind the rear wheels it is easy access. sometimes i'll put a piece of old mud flap also between the mower & chains
    when I trying to cover old stripes or heavy grass
    works great.